MG Midget Fuel System

I recently acquired a 1970 Midget 1275 GAN5 UA 80136 G. Garaged and not run since 1991. First order of business was to drop fuel tank, blow out lines, check floats and needle valves. Rubber fuel lines rotted so I replaced (temporary). Tank to be reworked this week. Fuel pump has been replaced by prior owner's mechanic and was relocated to the front of the bulkhead exterior from it's original position on the rear of the bulkhead exterior. Why I cannot begin to guess. I cannot find any sign of a fuel filter, I even looked in the Haynes manual. I have 3 questions

(1) Can any rubber hose be used for the rubber portions of the fuel lines.

(2) Is it advisable to return the fuel pump to it's original position.

(3) What is the best location and type for a in-line fuel filter. Or what is the location of the factory filter. (in case I am stupid and there really is one)

Reply to
Cindi

no must use a rubber thats fuel resistant. Usually bought as fuel hose.

Someone else may answer this better - but its the push /pull of the type of pump. There is a reason that its there and its not convenience.

Prior to the pump. Then its not under pressure.

Reply to
Rob

Pump may work ok on engine bulkhead, but if it is an original type SU pump it will be prone to overheating. In addition in hot weather you may have vapour lock problems. Mounting near the tank overcomes both of these problems.

You are working on making it go - may I suggest that you make sure that it can stop first?

Over last 12 years the brake system will have deteriorated....

Good luck with your project, have a look at

- bulletin boards there specific to Midgets and Sprites,

Cheers Ian F

Reply to
Liz and Ian

As far as I remember, there isn't a fuel filter on Midgets. SU carbs have large jets and don't suffer blockages in the way that fixed orifice carbs do.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Its not so much the jet, problem is that crud can get into the float valve and hold it slightly open causing the carb to flood and dribble petrol down the outside.

Ian F

Reply to
Liz and Ian

Don't know about the 1275, but the fuel filter on my 1500 is in the fuel pump itself, under the cap. It's a cleanable, re-usable screen.

Richard

Reply to
RJR

Reply to