wil the camaro 2.8 5 spd work on v8 ?

a lot of people are saying the 6 cyl and v8 will interchange transmissions, but the tranny will be weaker. Please let me know. I am trying to get a 5spd for my v8 bird but can't find one....the only ones out there are the stupid v6 2.8's ..if thats all I can find then so be it.

Reply to
Chevrolet

Have you done a search on T-5 rebuilders. Here's one guy that I use for my rebuild kits. Very knowledable in manual transmissions.

Ed Hartnett 4 Speeds

242 Penbroke Ave. Lansdowne, Pa. 19050 (610) 623-9381

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Reply to
Chevrolet

The T-5 IS a transmission from a v6 firebird.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Reply to
Chevrolet

True but not totally true. T-5s are in most Third gen F-bodies that came away with a gear stick. The exceptions are I believe the 82' models, which came with T-4s.

I don't have any concrete specs on the differences between V-6 and V-8 applications but judging from GMs past, I'd go the route of caution with using a tranny out of a V-6 car. In fact what the OP is really looking for would be an 88' or newer World Class T-5 which are slightly stronger than the older models.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

Reply to
Chevrolet

'82s had Borg Warner Super T10s and Saginaw 4-speeds. They were probably the weakest designed and used 3.42 first gears to help the anemic engines get the car moving.

I don't think the T-4 was used until '83 or '84.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Super T-10's are good transmission. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

. The differance between I-4, V6 & V8 T-5 is the bell housing. Which are removable.

I-4 & most V6 use the same bellhosuing bolt patern. 4.3 V6 & V8 use the same bellhousing bolt pattern.

F-car T-5's use a slighly different case & bellhousing. The bell housing puts the transmission at a angel, and the case has the shift at a angel.

Any good transmission shop can repair/rebuild a T-5 for you. Including upgraded internials.

If you really want a heavy duty 5 speed, you can buy a richmond 5-speed from jegs or summit. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

The V8 and V6/I4 5-speed (T-5) transmissions are not interchangeable. The V8 transmission has a larger 26 spline input shaft and the bellhousing bolt patterns are different. As others have said, the newer V8 T-5's are better than the older ones.

Make it interesting and swap in a T56 6-speed from a '93+ car. They're probably more common anyways.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Yes they are ... except for the very late models. There were actually problems with the bearing mid plate stretching.

As with many things in the late 70's/early 80's. Quality was down ... and so was power.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Remember that the transmissions in the 3rd gen cars have something like a 18º or 22º kant to them to fit in the tranny tunnel. I think that the T-4 is the 4 speed that was standard in these cars. In 83' the T-5 was an option for the plane janes but a factory part for the Berlinettas and Z28s. Besides, how would they have set up the shifting linkage at and angle and with no room to play with? It would have had to have been a top loader type transmission.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

The 70's & 80's had many good body styles. The power trains didn't get really good untill the mid 90's. Well let me amend that, it's damn hard to choke a 454 with a q-jet to where it has no torque (yea yea it's a truck engine).

Now if only that new fangled GTO came with 475 HP, and a real GTO look. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

1982 Firebirds and Camaros did indeed use Borg Warner T10 and Saganaw transmissions. Do a search on the net and you'll get many hits on the subject.

They are actually one year only transmissions as the tail housings have a provision for mounting the torque arm that was used on 3rd-gens.

There is a lot of 2nd-gen engineering and design that was passed onto the early

3rd-gens. '82-83 F-bodies use a mechanical clutch linkage(Z-bar and rods) Most people think 3rd-gens have always had a hydraulic clutch.
Reply to
Dennis Smith

Yeah... such as part of the front suspension.. 3rd gens still have the holes where the 2nd gens had their struts.. right?

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed w/o T-tops Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops.. or parts from one.
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

I was wrong, thanks. I read something about them being a second design T-10. Didn't understand it, maybe you know if there are differences in the 82' transmission versus T-10s and Super T-10s. Maybe they had smaller shafts?

This I did know since my buddies 83' had the mechanical clutch assembly.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

I don't have the original post so I'll just insert my $.02 here.

Check out

Go to the >The V8 and V6/I4 5-speed (T-5) transmissions are not interchangeable.

Reply to
Mshackleford