Is Jeep 5.9 Magnum crankshaft drilled for pilot bushing?

Planning on doing a 5spd swap in a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 LTD.

Hearing through the grapevine that not all V8 or V8 Magnum cranks are drilled for a pilot bushing.

Anyone know if this is true?

If it is true, is there any way to find out before removing the transmission?

Wondering if I could go by Engine S/Ns or something.

I know of at least one Jeep 5.9 Magnum owner that found his crank WAS drilled for a bushing from the factory. Any help is appreciated - John

Reply to
Z88Z

I have had several apart, but never found one that was not able to hold a pilot. Excuse me if I have taken your statement out of context, but if you are swapping, I assume you mean from an automatic. Please note that the 5.9 is externally balenced unlike the 5.2, which is internally balenced. The flywheels will interchange, but they are not cross compatible. The 5.9 has a counterweight cast in. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Steve >

Wow! Thank you Steve! You are the first person that has responded to this question and I have posted it in about six other Jeep/Dodge/Mopar forums!!

Yes, you got the right context. I'd be swapping my 46RE out for a

5spd. This would be only the second 5.9 5spd Jeep (that I've heard of) The other guy never cured his CEL problem though. Other than that I have only seen two 5spd swaps of ANY kind into V8 ZJs (93-98 grand chrokees) and those were pre-OBDII 5.2s built for extreme off road use.

My 98 LTD is the special edition with the factory 5.9 Magnum/46RE auto/4WD.

OK, on the external vs internal balancing. Are you talking about the crank itself or the flywheel? You are saying (I think) that the 5.9 has a balanced crank and uses a counter blanced fly wheel but the 5.2s uses the harmonic balancer and does not have counter weighted flywheel? So am I correct in thinking that the balancing would NOT be an issue as long as the swap parts are from a circa 98 5.9/5spd/4WD Ram? Does it make any difference if the donor truck has a 5.9 Magnum or a stock 5.9?

What kind of stuff do you do with the Mopars? Do you do mostly Dodge or Jeep and do you do high performance work for street performance or off road use?

I also have a question about reflashing the PCM from my Jeep or the Ram truck to cure the check engine light problem but I think I'll make that a seperate post.

Thanks again Steve - John

Reply to
Z88Z

- John

Steve, looked into it a bit more. So the flywheel has to be from a 5.9 Magnum and if the transmission came from a non Magnum 5.9 I'd need to get a P5249842?

P4529110 Cast Crank Flywheel ?

130-Tooth (1971?92 360 ?A? Engines. Not 360 Magnum) P5249842 Cast Crank Flywheel ? 130-Tooth (360 Magnum Crate Engines [not 360 "A" Engines])
Reply to
Z88Z

Original 360's were made up until 89 ??? considered LA motor. Motor redisign, All motors after that were Magnums. WIth the older LA 360's you could get a bushing for non drilled crank from NAPA ?

Reply to
sqdancerLynn
360's > you could get a bushing for non drilled crank > from NAPA ?

From allpar.com:

1992 - Magnum appears on 3.9 and 318 (5.2) 1993 - Magnum 360 (5.9) appears

I'm still going to try to dig up some more info on that subject. I''probably end up talking to an engine rebuilder that specializes in Mopars. Like I said, I'd hate to buy everything for the swap and then find out I can't put a pilot bushing in my crank.

Maybe that NAPA part will work though.

Thanks for the tip - John

Reply to
Z88Z