1993 4x4 XLT won't start

Ok my truck started fine 2 days ago, Tuesday. It rained all night Wed, and Thurs morning it would not start - starter clicked one time and then nothing, no electric gadget worked, eg, power locks.

I let it park all day, and it rained all day. In the evening, coming back from work, the power locks work. I can crank it and hear the starter click but nothing else.

It has 1 yr old heavy duty Duralast battery. I plan on charging it this weekend just to eliminate it from the equation, though I have doubts it is.

Any clues? Solenoid?

Reply to
Zilla

Sounds like battery, not unheardof for a new battery to go bad. You don't know how long the battery has been sitting in the shop before you bought it. Charge it then see what happens, if it starts, I would not trust that battery. Otherwise I would look for something of a short, maybe since the rain wetness could have caused a short. Maybe in the lights or a frayed wire underneath. Sorry bout the typing, Its LATE

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Are the battery terminals clean (as in spotless and shiny) and tight? is there any evidence of corrosion where the cable enters the terminals? Given the wet weather scenario, the click and then no power, etc... it sounds like a classic case of a poor connection...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Check your battery cables too, they can corrode inside the insulation. Jack

Reply to
jackddg22

My '94 did that last week. Tokk the battery cables off and cleaned the terminals and it worked fine.

Reply to
Mike Lapke

Yea, especially the positive cable. That reminds me--I was gonna get a new cable and everyone was out of stock. Too many old Explorers still running I guess.

I suggest you try a different battery. I've had batteries that checked OK with a hydrometer and voltmeter and seemed to charge right up and still didn't work. If you got that Duralast at Auto Zone then they will check if for you for free--assuming you can get the truck there ;-) Even if you didn't get it there they'll check if for free.

Reply to
Ulysses