97 960 won't start but if I wait for awhile it starts just fine

This has happend 4 times in the last 4 months. I turn the car off, run in to the store, come out 5 minutes later, the car won't start. Nothing, no click, nothing. All the lights on the dashboard turn on, the radio plays, headlights, auto locks, etc. all work. Just nothing when I try to start it.

If I wait an extended period of time, usually more than an hour but sometimes half a day, it starts up just fine.

I've tried moving the gear shift, steering wheel, etc. Nothing helps other than giving it some time. Then it starts like there was never a problem.

I've had to leave at a friend's house because it would not start till the next day.

Any ideas what can be the problem??

Thanks, Patrick

Reply to
pomalley

try fuel relay, sounds like the problem I had. changed the fuel relay and no more problem!

Reply to
Jan-Erik

I had a similar problem with an old '79 toyota... turned out to be a broken wire in the starter solenoid. When it was cold, the connection was ok and the car would start. Once it got good and warm, the wire would move slightly, and the connection was broken, resulting in the no-start. I was lucky enough to be able to clean the two ends of the wires, wrap them with some copper wire, and flow solder over the connection to make the fix permanent.

Reply to
Perry Noid

Reply to
pomalley

This link will give you info on your transmission

Mr. V