1995 Ford Explorer 4x4 Transmission Problem

While driving around 55 mph I had to come off of the accelerator. When I did so the RPM came down and I could feel the engine slow down and the car of course slowed down to. However, for a couple of moments, I heard a "whinning" noise. So I applied the gas and the noise went away and my car accelerated. When I slowed down again, the noise came back, so I accelerated (again - it went away). 20 minutes later I could not duplicate the problem. Now granted it was around 20 degrees F outside and my car was cold initially. Do I have a transmission problem? This was the first time this happen and it haven't happened again in the last 2 days.

Reply to
wdbillingslea

Check your transmission fluid level, but I think your OK, As you stated it was cold out. Maybe the trans fluid wasn't at temp, it may not have been flowing through the tranny quick enough. Check again in the morning. If the sound goes away after the engine is up to temp, then this should be the problem. Mine makes various noises when shes first starting out in the cold morning, plus she creaks alot more in the winter.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Not sure if this is the same thing, but during colder weather (usually about

15 deg. F. or lower) my '96 will often exhibit what I have been told is "throttle body whistle" until the engine warms up. When I first heard it and tried to "diagnose" the conditions under which it would occur, I got the impression it was a transmission problem because it seemed to be related to the amount of power being applied to the drivetrain and/or vehicle speed. In my case, the sound is apparently related to how much air is flowing through the throttle body - there has to be just the right amount of air flowing at just the right temperature and throttle plate angle for the sound to occur. For my vehicle this roughly corresponds to what I would consider my normal highway driving speed, around 60 mph in top gear with no torque converter lock-up (cold engine). This would also seem to correspond to the approximate throttle plate position where my Explorer spends most of its time. Backing off the throttle a little, or giving it a little more, causes the noise to go away. Same with ascending or descending hills. After the engine/tranny warms up enough to allow torque converter lock-up (and thus engine RPM to drop) the noise stops as the lockup occurs (again, I was sure it was a transmission problem). The dealer diagnosed/verified it was throttle body whistle, something I wasn't familiar with. Prior to that I had convinced myself I had some sort of transmission problem because it seemed to be so tied in to engine/drivetrain loading and sounded like it could be some sort of gear whine or hydraulic fluid whistle.

HTH, Steve

"wdbillingslea" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Just_Steve