1996 Explorer AWD transfer case

I am hearing a growling noise coming from the front end whenever the vehicle is rolling. I suspect it is the transfer case since it was worked on in the past. How can i diagnose the problem myself? And where can I find instructions on how to R&R the transfer case if need be?

Thanx

Reply to
MrScience

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Gerald Riggs

The front driveshaft is the most common front end problem on the AWD. I believe you have a constant velocity joint on the transfer case side of the driveshaft like my 99. This CV joint is what usually fails on the driveshaft, and is sometimes hard to diagnose. It can sound like a transfer case issue because it is bolted right up to it.

Best thing is to yank out the front driveshaft and examine the u joint and CV joint carefully. While that's off, you can put the front wheels in the air and check the front axle/wheel bearings for noise / roughness.

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

And go drive it around too in 2WD.

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

You might want to try something simple like lubricating your rear U-Joint. My 97 AWD was also making some noises that I thought were coming from the front - ended up being the rear U-Joint...

Chris

Thanx

Reply to
Chris & Patty Bolan