AWD Transfer Case Life ?

Now have 108k on my 97 V8 AWD. Noting that the Transfer Case is always turning I was just wondering how long they will live. On conventional 4X4s the Case only rotates when it is engaged, but on these AWDs they are always turning. Can't last forever. Care to share your experiences? Thanks-Jerry

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

Just passing on personal experience on conventional 4WD, I'd imagine that unless hubs are locked then. there's little load on the transfer case. Don't know how AWD affects that, perhaps there's more load on the XFR case in AWD case.

Anyhow to get back on track, keep those U-joints up. If one goes out, as happened on my vehicle, and you don't correct the problem pronto, your transfer case will likely shake itself to death. I managed to put a hole through the casing on mine when it internally failed. A quick periodic check to see if there's any play in the U joints - try to move each part of the driveshaft linkage to assess U joint wear - will save a lot of grief in the longrun. Rebuild driveshafts with zerk fitted U joints, so you can relube them also.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

I've never seen anyone report a failure in the AWD unit of the '96-01 in the newsgroups anyway. It seems to be very reliable.

'96 AWD V8 XLT

Reply to
Rider

Hi, Not sure of the total life of a complete transfer unit, but I have 147000 miles on my 97 V8 AWD and just started having problems.

Al

Reply to
Al

What is it doing?

'96 XLT AWD V8

Reply to
Rider

Problem first noticed when the car was moving in drive at idle speed. Kind of a ratcheting noise from front end. Not a loud noise at first, but; gradually got louder yet still not noticeable as engine rpm/speed increased. Finally got it to the dealer and mech determined the CV joint between engine and power transfer unit needed replacement. It was replaced and by the time I got home the noise started again. Next diagnosis, tire size difference between front and rear too much, causing front wheel drive to cut in and out. Tires did need replacement but front and rear tires appeared the same, some tread on all tires. Anyway, after my questioning that theory, dealership called ford, pulled the power transfer unit, and found the output spline shaft worn and rubbing against the bearing support(Or something like that). Replaced the shaft and everything sounds ok.

Reply to
Al

Just out of curiosity, do you know the full service history on the transfer case? I'm just wondering if this is to be expected on a properly serviced unit or if maybe yours did not get the recomended fluid changes (perhaps from a previous owner).

-Fred W '97 XLT 5.0 AWD

Reply to
Fred W.

No, I'm original owner and have had all service performed by dealer where purchased. I asked the service manager if this was a common problem and he said no. But then others have had problems, just not sure what type.

Al

Reply to
Al

Forgot to reply, yes all trans fluids have been replace twice (Jeffy Lub) using their total fluid replacement (can't remember the name of the unit)

Al

Reply to
Al