2000 Limited AWD Funny noise ?

I have recently purchased a 2000 White Pearl Limited AWD 5.0, at 67k...I love the looks of this vehicle.

I had the transmission fluid changed, oil change (mobile super syn.), new plugs, new rear window wiper motor and arm, tire rotation and alignment, along with the 60 k check up per Ford. Well I have noticed that the front end seems to have a noise that I can't pinpoint. It is steady and slows as the truck speed slows. It may be the tires...General Grabber...the ford tech told me that the tires might have a separated belt the way it was wearing...but he also said that the noise was the way this AWD performed.

One question I have is, did this model have an issue with the transfer case that would cause this noise?

Second question is, would this be a characteristic of the All Wheel Drive?...making a steady whining noise?..which increases or decreases as the speed of the truck goes.

Does this make any sense to anyone?..please give me some other suggestions as you like! Help me understand please..... thanks, Bill V.

Reply to
Bill V

I have the same vehicle. Yes, my guess would be that it IS the tires. Generals are "generally" a low-end tire and it wouldn't surprise me if they made lots of road noise.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

I have the '96 EB AWD and it has always had an extra noise that Ford says is AWD vibration. I recently put Michelin CrossTerrain tires on it and it quieted down some. It's most noticeable when the cruise is set on 75, going downhill on the interstate when it throttles back.

Reply to
Marty Sellers

Had the same problem with the Firestones which came with my '96. Unfortunately for me, this happened a year before the recall, so I had to pay for new tires myself. But the noise stopped. I replaced the Firestones with Goodyear Wranglers. Those tires started making noise at about 50K too.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Thanks for and to those that have commented.

I have wondered if a belt separation would make this whining kind of noise? What would the characteristic of the tire look like if a belt separation was going on?

It speeds up and slows down exactly with the speed of the vehicle....and comes from the front end...I haven't been able to determine if it is more pronounced at cruise control 75 (or other) speeds....but it is always present.

I double checked with the Ford shop that did my work and they said if it was the transfer case the tech. would have seen discolored or burnt smelling transmission fluid so his guess is that it is the tires because he also said that the AWDs don't have the whining type of noise....???

Does anyone know?

Bill V. WV USA

Reply to
Bill V