4WD noise on 94 Explorer

My truck has the touchdrive system but the auto locking hubs have been replaced with manual locking hubs in the past. Theres a lot of snow up here so I've been using the 4wd a lot lately.

The problem is when you shift into 4WD by hitting the button on the dash, (the hubs are locked), you get a loud, deep rumble from the drive train and you can even feel a 'ticking' vibration through your feet. Its in time with the speed of the wheels and does it even coasting at low speeds. I have also noticed that since I have had this noise when you try to shift out of 4wd and back to 2wd it dosnt disengage like it used to. You can still hear the louder noise so I know its still in 4WD but when braking on the snow in this situation the front wheels locking up is enough to silently make the 4wd disengage. Its nothing dramatic but I wonder why I have so much noise this year and why it wont disengage without locking a couple of front wheels up or reversing.

Any thoughts on the rumble would be much appreciated. The transfere case and diffs are all full with the correct lube and the 3 front UV joints have been changed. The two on the prop to the transfere case are older.

Regards,

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Tighe