Manual hubs for 97 Explorer

I have a 97 ford explorer xlt 4x4 with a 4.0L. I need to replace my hubs and would like to use manual hubs. It looks like warn stopped offering hubs for an explorer in 1994. Is there another manufacturer or conversion available?

Thanks!!!

Reply to
dwkoller

I used to have two web sites for Warn Hubs but I can't find the other one right now. Someone else asked about this a while back so you might find something if you Google this NG. I remember seeing some manual hubs for the '97 but I also recall thinking it might have been an error and they were actually for the Rangers.

I also have a '97 so I'd like more information about what's going on just in case I ever have the same problem. My understanding is that the front wheels are partially engaged (10% or something?) and when the Control Trak kicks in 50% of the power is directed to the front wheels. Are the front wheels not engaging at all or is one not engaging? Can I assume you've checked the transfer case sensor and all four tires are in good condition and match?

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks for the message. If I find anything out, I'll post it.

I've had the car to aamco and they couldn't find anything wrong. So I'm leaning towards a bad hub bearing that occassional locks up. The tires are all the same. Aamco is telling me the hall sensors are okay. I've heard the same thing about the 10 percent of the power going to the front. But as long as the wheels are in free mode -- why care. I probably don't understand the hub workings.

Thanks!!!

Reply to
dwkoller

I bought Warn manual hubs for my 94 Explorer a few months ago. Sorry I don't remember which website I bought them from but a good place to start looking is the Warn website. You'll need a conversion kit too ( to convert from auto to manual hubs), about $30 more.

Reply to
Bob
97 Explorer doesn't have locking hubs... as far as I can recall, there isn't even any provision for "unlocking" the front axle....

Without knowing the nature of your concern and a little more about your car, I can't comment any further...

FWIW... Warn doesn't list anything because there isn't anything...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes. No hubs on a 97. From 97 on the front wheels are always turning the front differential. (95 and 96 also do not have locking hubs, but are slightly different) A solenoid connects the front differential to the transfer case in 4WD mode.

It's simpler, but there's more drag and wear. I liked the old autohubs, mine worked just fine, and I got 20 mpg instead of 17.

-Paul

Reply to
Paul G.