97 Explorer HVAC

My 97 Explorer blows cold air in MaxAC position and blazing hot air in all other positions. Temp control switch has no effect. I have read recent posts about the blend door. I looked behind the glove box and saw a black plastic box which fills all the space. It has a white plastic gadget on top, but I can't really see what it is. There is no obvious way to open or remove anything. There is a pneumatically operated damper beside the box which opens when the control is turned to MaxAC or off. With a hand on top of the white thing, I can feel something happen when the control is moved. The proximity to the airbag also makes me reluctant to poke around very much! Help please!

I went out to check the damper and the darn thing blew cold air in the AC position, at least for a while!

Reply to
Robert Olson

The air goes through the evaporator (ac part) then the damper that sends it through or around the heater core. The blend door gets stuck on hot. But when you first start the car the coolant is cold. As car warms up heater core heats up. In max AC position there is a vavle that shuts off the coolant so you get cold air.

Reply to
JaWise