'97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC - Hard start in cold

My '97 Explorer has developed a starting issue in cold weather. I turn the key and it starts immediately, runs for a second or two and shuts off. I
have to repeat the process numerous times before it will stay running. At first, I thought the battery voltage was sagging because it is at least 8 years old. I changed the battery and there is no difference.
Any idea's?
Please respond to newsgroup only. Thanks
Might be the IAC valve. Do a google search and look at the articles.
Ken
Rick N Pam wrote:

Leaking intake gaskets ????
When the engine warms up they expand and start sealing better

It is definitely either the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC Valve) and/or the intake manifold gaskets. The IAC Valve can be replaced very easily by yourself in 10 minutes or less, but the intake manifold gasket repair/replacement needs to be taken to a proper repair shop - NOT THE FORD DEALER! I replaced the gaskets on my 97 Explorer just last week and the two year old problem you are experiencing went away instantly. Cost me 324 bucks though, so be careful.
I vote for a sticking IAC valve.
I have had both situations, leaking gasket (replaced it myself - for the cost of the gasket plus a days work), but the IAC valve I fixed with a small screwdrive.
If my memory serves me right (it was a few years ago on my 1994 Eddie) there is a control rod which gums up and sticks causing exactly the symptom you describe. A bit of scratching and scraping and make the rod move free and replace.
Hope this helps. Have a go.