97 explorer Tempature select Problem

I have a 97 XLT. Starting today, turning the temperature select knob does not seem to do anything. If I have it set to "AC", it only blows hot air, and if I turn to "Max AC" it only Blows cold air (As it should).

Anyone know what the cause of this is? Could it be a vacuum line on the temperature select, bad valve, or bad switch?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Peyton

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMjuno.com

Reply to
cidw

Most likely you have the infamous "Blend Door" problem. Until the 99 or 2000 models the heater blend door was made from an inferior plastic and the shaft would break. Cheap part that is, alas, buried in a heater plenum that, alas and alack, requires dash removal to get at. Standard repair cost runs $125 or so for the plenum plus 8 hours or so of shop labor, whatever yours charges. Can total anywhere from $450-$1000, so shop around. Do a search on this group as there are a couple of other methods to try and fix this being reported.

Reply to
Vic Klein