AC does not work, can't recharge

I have a '94 Explorer and the A/C stopped working. I checked the pressure on the low side service port and there was nothing. I used a recharge kit with uv dye to spot a leak and could not find anything. I used the goggles that make the uv stand out and even used a higher wattage blacklight to spot anything. No apparent leaks. I even looked in the condensor housing and couldn't see anything. Any ideas?

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

What do you mean "can't recharge"? Were you able to refill the system? Does the compressor clutch engage? More info needed.

Reply to
S.P.

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

Bad compressor? Isnt that what build pressure?

Reply to
Zilla

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

If I remember (vaguely) college thermo-goddamics, compressing freon (increasing pressure) lowers its temp, cooling the pipes it flows through, and then the fans blowing you that cool air.

PS, I hated that course! :)

Reply to
Zilla

And, quite obviously, you didn't learn anything from it.... Compressing freon is an endothermic process (increases heat)... passing the high pressure gas through the condenser (funny name, isn't it?) condenses the high pressure gas into a high pressure liquid. The liquid is delivered to the evaporator through a restriction (most commonly, an orofice tube). As the freon passes through te orofice tube, the pressure drop allows the liquid to "boil" into a gaseous state. This boiling action takes place at something well below freezing and removes latent heat from it's surroundings...

For the original poster.. if you don't understand the system, leave it alone and have someone versed in AC repair attend to it.... anything you might try at this point in the game will only increase the eventual repair costs...

FerKrissakes.... if you guys don't know how it works... ASK!!!! Pretending that you know what you are doing is like pretending you have a big dick... someone, somewhere, somehow is going to embarass you...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Big Shoe

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

first do your basics if you have a voltage reader test to see if the comressor is recieveing any thing so it can turn on if that has been checked then there is a I think its called a relay switch, Its usually wilbe by the tank that holds the refridgerent and oil it will have 2 wires coming out.

Reply to
redman28