Elantra oil problem

Hey everyone,

One of the cars I own is a 1995 Hyundai Elantra GLS about 90K miles, no need to express your pitty. Recently I was running it pretty hard for a couple of minutes and then when I got back home, there was some smoke coming out of the engine compartment. It smelled like burnt oil and I imagine this must be some sort of gasket problem. I was wondering if any of you knew just what needs to be fixed/replaced, the cost, and if it is best to leave it up to a well-trained mechanic. (If I would be actually lucky enough to find one).

Thanks

JP SilverBullet

Reply to
JP

Leaks around the valve cover gaskets are pretty common. Oil then runs down onto the exhaust and smokes like two tribes of indians having a curse fight.

Replacing an valve cover gasket is childs play. Some dealership mechanics might even be able to do it.

Could be something else too. Take a look and find the leak.

Reply to
HLS

JP wrote in rec.autos.tech

It is impossible to tell where the oil is coming from without actually looking at the engine. Next time you have this happen, you need to open the hood and look around to see. It could range from a loose oil filler cap to a head gasket leaking. One thing you do need to do is to check your oil and make sure it is full. (wait a few minutes after you shut off your engine to make sure the oil has run back down to the oil pan, other wise you will think it is low and overfill the engine). Nobody can determine if you need a mechanic until you find out where the oil is coming from.

Reply to
Dick C

1) Twist and lift oil filler cap 2) Insert new car under cap
Reply to
null_pointer

Well, a little bit of intuition and UV dye go a long way. I am not sure if it is all that safe, but I put some UV dye, originally used to color the water in my water-cooling CPU system for the home computer, in the oil. When I turned the blacklight on, there was solid evidence of a head gasket leak and I could even faintly see the oil residue on the exhaust header. There was even oil near the spark plugs.

Unless it doesn't cause any longterm problem, this seems to work quite well. Now all that is left to do is take the car in at a local AAA car care center (a friend's suggestion). I'll let you know what my wallet thinks about this. Thanks for the help.

JP SilverBullet

Reply to
JP

Reply to