AC rip-off??

My daughter is driving my 94 camry xle 6 cyl. The AC is running warm. The local GoodYear dealer charged her $74 to evacuate, charge, check, and evacuate the system, then told her it would be "around $400 to change the leaking high, and low pressure hoses, and drier. Is $74 a little much?? I think it's cause she's a petite girl...glad she's not blonde!! Would it be OK to get used parts at a bone yard, and do it myself ??

Reply to
TJ

Sounds about right to me...if they did what they say... But you went to Goodyear so... You dont use used parts for AC repairs...You want to buy some 10 year old hoses for your car? The labor is where the cost is not the hose. It would probably be a good idea to convert it to the newer freon, but really none of this is something you can do easily, plus what restrictions on buying and spilling freon into the air are there now?

Reply to
ROBMURR

that $74 is about right, my shop charges less though. the $400 for new hoses????? Did they put fluorescent dye into the system? (the dye shines like a day-glo poster under UV light) They should have at that price. The dye will show up exactly where the leak is. Its doubtful all the hoses need replaced.

Reply to
Im Right

The written estimate shows about $90 per hose, and $40 each to install. $50 For the drier. The rest was for labor, charging etc. The total estimate was for $540, but they will take off the $74 they already charged her...Are they over charging her???

Reply to
TJ

Your not even authorized to service this system by law. All AC repairs are spendy. Its the parts, refrigerant and the equipment mandated by law is what makes this cost lots of money. If its too much, leave it off and don't worry about it.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Do you have a Toyota dealer nearby? Get an estimate there too, Goodyear, firestone suck.

Reply to
ROBMURR
1.) Check with a company that does only ac work.

2.) Check with the local better business bureau

my 2 cents worth

Lee

Reply to
GCSCinc