Air intake probs

Recently my '98 4.0 V6 SOHC RHD UK spec Ex seems to have developed a fault in the air intake department. Along with increased fuel consumtion and reduced performance (it seems to be behaving similar to if the A/C is on full) there is an asthmatic gasp everytime the throttle is opened from idling. I can't see any obvious loose or perished pipes and the 'gasp' (for want of better words) seems to come from the top centre area of the engine. Also, when the engine is running there is a strange 'rattling / clicking sound which I haven't been able to trace. It's not a heavy mechanical noise, more like the noise you get when you hoover up some grit from the carpet. I'll be booking it into the Ford dealer next week, but I thought I'd ask the experts on here for any pointers. I doubt that the Ford techs here will have much idea as I believe mine is the only Explorer they have ever worked on. Explorers aren't very common over here...

TIA Simon H

Reply to
Simon H