auto trans won't downshift to 1st gear on 2000 Explorer V6 SOHC

Any ideas on why my auto trans won't downshift to 1st gear when manually placed into 1st gear. It will limit itself to first gear only when accelerating in 1st gear but it won't allow engine breaking to decelerate on decents. It seams like it is in neutral when no gas is applied, allow it to coast and even pick speed on a steep decent. Problem only occurs after the engine has warmed up. 2nd gear functionality works fine including engine breaking. Vehicle is a 4x4 with Auto/Hi/Lo transfer case and a 4.1 LS diff.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
KI0FT

Straight from the 2000 WSM for the 5R55E transmission....

"If this position is selected at normal road speeds, the transmission will shift into third gear, then into first when the vehicle reaches a speed below approximately 48 km/h (30 mph)."

As far as no engine braking... are there any other symptoms or concerns? Has the TCM been scanned for codes (this will require something a bit upscale from a dimestore scan tool)? Is the concern founded in fact or in perception?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for your response to my question!! When the trans is manually placed into 1st it never indicates when it does drop into first. I expect the RPM to rise quickly when it does eventually drop into 1st. The problem occurs when deceleration or when decending a hill. The RPM just sits at idle until I give it the gas to start an acceleration. No other symptoms. Again - it works fine when its cold but promptly begins to fail when normal running temperature is reached.

Reply to
KI0FT

It seems to me that there was a TSB on this or a similar problem a couple years ago. It was a problem in the valve body and was being fixed under warranty. There was definitely something posted on it, try a google search in this newsgroup.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy