AWD Question

Is there any known problems with 1997 explorer with all wheel drive? I am thinking of buying one. Thanks Stan

Reply to
Stan

I've got one and so far the only problem I have had with it has been the sensor that controls the 4 wheel drive. Cost me 15 bucks and about 20 min to replace it. Other than that it has been the best "truck" that I have. AWD has been a great help in the snow, I do notice it coming on and off. Most of the time when going to the cabin I never have to put her in 4 wheel drive and with my other trucks I have.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

You talking All Wheel Drive, or 4-wheel drive.

There is a difference....

Reply to
Alan Moorman

My thought would be that since he matter of factly stated "all wheel drive" He was talking about AWD.. Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

He might be. But, since he doesn't own one, he might be mistaken, so I asked for clarification. . .

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Probably that limited slip back there helps a lot.

Reply to
Ulysses

If I'm not mistaken the AWD was only with the V8. I have a '97 with the 4.0 V6 OHV engine and Control Trac 4WD. The only problem I've had with it was the connection to the camshaft sensor was dirty and it wouldn't start (no spark condition). Other than that make sure you check all the fluids, expecially the transfer case and rear differential to make sure they are full. Like Shopdog said the control trac sensors can get gunked up but I have not had this problem yet.

If you are talking about 4WD then beware of the V6 SOHC engine and the infamous timing chain problems.

Reply to
Ulysses

I have a 1996 (first year) with 188,000 miles and no problems whatsoever. The best vehicle I have ever owned.

Reply to
Jeff