brakes/rotors

I have a 2003 Sport Trac XLT. I've changed brakes/rotors on my other vehicles in the past. Some being front wheel drive (Dodge/Mistubishi/Chev.) This is my fisrt Ford I've owned. I need to replace the front rotors and pads.

2 questions.... 1 - Is replacing the front brakes and rotors a relativeley easy chore for a typical do-it-yourselfer? And 2 - any tricks/tips anyone has?

thanks Cy

Reply to
cyburgh

Do as search on this subject. There has been discussions in the past about resurfacing rotors. Ford does not even mention it in their repair manuals in recent years. If the rotors are in good shape leave them. As far as changing the pads, it's basically the same. Remove caliper, compress piston with C-clamp ( make sure master cylinder cap is loose to allow expansion, and do not let it overflow),and replace pads. No need to bleed as long as you do not open the lines.

Reply to
Mikepier

Would be a good idea to go ahead and change the fluid, though.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Off topic, but the rear e-brakes are a trip...sheesh. They have drums in the middle for the e-brakes with rotors around them for the standard brakes. To change the shoes you need to really stretch the springs and squeeze your fingers and tools behind the hub. It was almost worth having the dealer do it for $300.

A repair manual helped greatly.

Phil

Reply to
lastford

Just curious, why did you need to change your e-brake shoes? Since they are rarely used I thought they never need changing.

Reply to
Mikepier

Bought the explorer used with 35K miles on it. The previous owner must've driven around with the brake on - the shoes were gone...down to the metal. The metal backings and hardware all looked like they were

20 years old (rather than only 3). Who knows.
Reply to
lastford