Daytime running lights question

I just got a new (to me) 2002 XLT. The DRLs don't seem to be working properly. Before I ask any dumb questions, are they standard on this model? If they're an option, how can I tell if I have them? TIA.

Reply to
Jonah

properly. Before I ask any dumb questions, are

I have a 2002 XLS.....and they are NOT standard on it.... Maybe on the Limited or Eddie Bowser models??

Reply to
DR. FAFOOFNlK

If you live in the Good Old USA DRL's are not standard on any Ford product. Just like the third brake light DRL's will do nothing for you. Sorry about that.

R> I just got a new (to me) 2002 XLT. The DRLs don't seem to be working

Reply to
Ron B.

DRL's WILL do something for you. Likely save your life one day. Ask the Greyhound Bus Lines why they have been running with headlights ON for umpteen years. Explorer DRL's are good, but there are some vehicles that only have amber parking light-type "DRL's" which aren't worth spit. Pontiac Montana vans are a good example. I always turn on the headlights when I head out on a highway in the commercial Montana van that I drive. Even have the driving lamps turned on. I am most comfortable driving my Explorer. I want to be highly visible to the person who decides that he will pass the vehicle coming at me. Or to the individual approaching from a side road.

Reply to
budman

Opinions clearly vary on this, but MINE is that the DRL's are only useful when they are "different", just like the 3rd brakelight. I was working for a company that made the red plastic years ago who were partly instrumental in getting the 3rd brakelight mandated. They did it to sell more plastic and used data that showed that the 3rd light did provoke a faster response time precisely because it was unusual. I would be interested in seeing if rear end collisions have climbed back up now that essentially all cars have them.

Similarly, the cars with DRLs stand out because they are different, or were. We used to notice a car with his lights on in the daytime and wonder why, but as more and more show up with that, I wonder about the utility. Motorcycle drivers initially appreciated being more visible with their light(s) on, but I've heard comments that when cars started having DRL's, people don't see the motorcycles anymore. Frankly, the daytime lights just irritate me, kind of like fog lights do for other people I guess (I like fog lights!).

To the initial question, Explorers have a DRL module option available that is mounted up front if installed, and which came about becuase Canada mandated DRL's as I understand it. It is standard in Canada.

Reply to
Vic Klein

I agree with the being different makes them standout.... I used to ride, and had several incidents where someone did not see me on my bike, even with the headlight burning, and pulled out in front of me. I obtained a device called a "bumble bee", IIRC that would flash the headlight between high and low beam very quickly (like once a sec) and that dramatically reduced the folks pulling out in front......could only use it during the daytime though.

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

I found this from a prior post. Ed White knows his stuff...I was on the Expedition list with him for years before I downsized (boy I miss that truck) Anyway, I'd take stock in his reply:

"The DRL module, when present, is on the left hand side of the engine compartment near one of the fuse boxes. With DRLs there should also be a relay in the battery junction/fuse box (relay K5, upper right corner of the box). The DRL Module Connector is a rectangular connector with 6 pins (2 rows of three pins each). It appears to me that if your vehicle did not come with DRLs, it will not be easy to add them. The shop manual has completely different headlight wiring schematics for vehicles with and without DRLs."

Reply to
knagy389us

I had one of those on my Wing; I don't actually know if it did what it promised. Yes, it was indeed unusual at night!

Reply to
Big Bill

Just to get an idea of how the DRL connector was present on Explorers that didn't come straight from the factory with DRL operational see this link

Keep in mind this is a '96 Explorer that had the wiring in place from the factory but didn't have the DRL module plugged-in

I heard that in '98?? the wiring harness is not even present unless the vehicle came from the factory with DRL operational (wiring harness and module installed)

Also looked in what is called an Explorer Accessory Brochure, you might see DRL mentioned as installable by the dealer.

Before I ask any dumb questions, are

Reply to
Fred 2

DRL's are standard on Explorers sold in Canada. I think Ford has always had an extra cost accessory that activatied DRL in later model cars (2000 and later). Not only are cars with DRL safer, you also can save about $40.00 per year ( NY) in insurance costs. Insurance companys think they are safer too.

Reply to
syclone

Ford sells an "accessory" kit to add DRLs to US model Explorers (at least pre 2001) without them. See:

It is Ford P/N F6SZ-13B218-AA .

Personally, if you are in favor of running lights during the day, why not just turn on the headlights?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

See

Ford P/N F8AZ-13B218-AA

Lights, Automatic, Headlamp System Includes Daytime Running Light [F8AZ-13B218-AA] $69.02

For Vehicles With or Without Daytime Running Lights Fits:

1999-2005 Estimated Install Time of 1 Hours Ed
Reply to
C. E. White

For the pro DRL propaganda see

For the anti DRL propaganda see
The pro DRL sites trumpet studies in far northern countries and use weasel wording. They say things like a x% percent reduction in DRL relevant crashes, without adequately defining DRL relevant crashes, or adequately examining if DRLs are increasing other sorts of crashes. They smack of reports that were written to justify a preordained conclusion.

Personally, I hate DRLs. I don't think they increase safety in my area, and they are irritating as heck, particularly when implemented on a jacked up truck or SUV. On the other hand, my Saturn has them, and even though they can be easily disabled by pulling a single relay, I have not done so. But then, my DRLs don't bother ME. As for Insurance companies offering discounts - well they did so for 5 mph bumpers, ABS brakes, and air bags - other debatable "safety" innovations. It almost seem like if you are 55 years old, driving a Toyota with 5 mph bumpers, ABS brakes, air bags, and DRLs, the insurance company ought to pay you!

If you really, really want to add them to a late model Explorer see

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I had a 97 Explorer XLT, the Day-time-running light is located on the rear-view mirror. It has a slider to adjust the time it keeps the lights on after the truck is powered down. I now have a 2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer, and it has the same type of DRL on the rear-view mirror.

Hope that helps,

Jessie97XLT

Reply to
Jessie97XLT

If your 97 was anywhere similar to my 98, the slider on the mirror was not for the DRLs, but for the auto headlights. I would risk a guess that the same statement applies to your 2005. In fact, unless you bought your Explorer in Canada or installed the module later, your vehicle is probably not equipped with DRLs at all.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Those controls on your rear view mirror are not for DRL system

The DRL system if equipped in your vehicle is automatically controlled. See the URL below for more info:

The DRL system turn on your vehicle's high beam headlights at reduced power when, the headlight switch is off position, the ignition switch is in the on postion, and the parking brake is released.

Reply to
Fred 2

And.......if it's bright enough out that the headlights don't come on automatically!

Reply to
budman

Reply to
Fred 2

Reply to
Fred 2

Thanks for the correction Happy Traveler, I was thinking about the autolamp feature. I do not think the Explorer has that DRL as standard.

Jessie97XLT

Reply to
Jessie97XLT