Difference between '98 and '00 Explorers

I have just traded in my '98 Ex for a '00 Ex. The '00 is a UK spec 'North Face' which I believe to be the nearest equvalent spec to the EB in other markets. Anyway, apart from the obvious styling and trim differences I was wondering if the '00 is higher geared? It seems to be slightly better on gas mileage and maybe a little 'sluggish' in the acceleration department compared to the '98. Did they change the ratios? Or mess with the engine management? Or am I deluding myself?

TIA Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Forgot to mention, we only get 4X4 4.0 SOHC models over here...

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

IIRC, they made some engine management changes to improve fuel economy and emissions but nothing major. Assuming as well that you have the same 5 speed auto tranny. It wasn't til 2002 that they did a major overhaul with the new suspension and such.

Reply to
Al Williams

Yes, it's the 5 speed auto tranny (it's the option we ever got in the UK). One thing that I've noticed is that the '00 seems a bit reluctant to 'kick down' when a quick burst of acceleration is required. I will have a fairly heavy towing job in a few weeks for further comparison with the '98.

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H