Explorer Diesel?

Has anyone heard whether Ford has plans to offer a diesel in the Explorer? I am talking about a modern type of diesel, not the farm tractor type usually installed in vehicles here. I have ridden in some in Europe and Australia where the noise and vibration was so low it was difficult to know it was a diesel. The fuel economy is far better than gasoline and the new turbo-diesels have great performance, so I don't understand why they are not available here.

Reply to
Big Shoe

That's easy- Americans didn't care about fuel economy when gas cost $1.33/gal.

Now that it costs a lot more, that pendulum will swing back. Also, Chevy made a diesel some years ago that had so many problems that it gave automobile diesels a bad name.

But you're right, there are some terrific diesels out there- power, reliability, durability, and economy all in one. The Dodge Sprinter van is a good example. It's a European import.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

It would indeed be nice to see a diesel version of the Explorer here in the UK. Our gas costs approx 9 of your US Dollars ($9) a gallon :-(

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Is there a Land Rover diesel? I thought Ford was dropping the Explorer from the UK.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ford dropped the Explorer around 2001 when the last 'new' model was introduced. There are several Land Rover diesel variants on the market as well as many far superior Japanese & Far Eastern trucks on the UK market. Thing is the Explorer did not sell too well over here and their value depreciates at a frightening rate. This is a bad thing if you bought new, but a good thing for the used car buyer. You get a whole lot of vehicle for your money. My 2000 4.0 SOHC Ex cost about the same as a 1995 TDi Land Rover Discovery that was for sale on the same car lot. A 2000 Disco TDi with similar mileage and spec to my Ex would have been +50% or more the price of the Ex.

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Wow, a diesel Explorer would be something neat to see in the US. For some reason, US automakers feel that the American public is against diesel. They keep saying "GM tried it in the 70's, and it didn't catch on". Well, technology is a lot better, and fuel will only be harder to come by. Diesel seems like a nice solution to the low mileage gas versions they keep selling. If only we had the choice! I almost bought a Honda Pilot (gas, no diesel option there either), but it wouldn't tow enough. Seems like a diesel would have plenty of torque to tow trailers.

Richard Minami '05 Explorer XLT Sport 4x4 '94 Honda Accord LX '97 Coleman Yukon

Reply to
Richard Minami

Yeah, the car companies rushed to put diesels on the market in the

70's and they used c>Wow, a diesel Explorer would be something neat to see in the US. For some
Reply to
Big Shoe

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it! I owned a 1980 Olds Diesel station wagon. This 4500 Lb monster regularly got 24 MPG on trips from NY to FL. I sold it after I had put over 100 K miles on it. The only problem that I had in the 4 years I owned it was during a sub-zero cold snap in 1982, the fuel jelled in the lines and the beast was tied up for 2 days until we had a thaw. That's when I learned to throw some kerosene into every fill up. Never had to replace any major component except for 4 glow plugs. The answer was something foreign to most American drivers - MAINTENENCE - changing oil every 3 k miles was a must. The crankcase was a soot depository.

Reply to
syclone

Daimler-Chrysler is putting a 4-cyl. turbo diesel in their Jeep Liberty. This little puppy has a 5,000 lb. trailer towing capacity! Sorry Ford, I'm going to Jeep in the new year. Ya snooze, ya loose. My Explorer has served me well, but the time has come to face reality. The ONLY reason I'm driving an Explorer is to tow my trailer.

Reply to
budman

Mmmmm.....maybe I'll just keep my "gas-guzzlin' SUV."

budman

I had one of those diesel junkers, an Olds station wagon. Had an oil leak that turned out to be from a cracked block. Dealer said he never heard of any such problem and wanted me to pay most of the repair bill. A little checking resulted in discovery that FTC had recently filed a lawsuit against GM on these engines. Same problem with diesels in Caddys, Cheves and other GM passenger cars. The dealer (I spoke with the owner) who was one lyin' SOB, when presented with the fact of the FTC case, did the repair for next to nothing. I'm sure GM backed him up. Same problem and sequence of events for a friend with a Caddy.

Reply to
Len Krauss

Reply to
Big Shoe