Explorer headlight

For a non car-techie, but a do it yourselfer, - the headlight on my 96 Explorer is apparently burned out - can anyone tell me whether I need to replace the whole light or can I just replace the bulb inside the lamp? I haven't taken it apart yet but thought I'd have the right part in hand before I do so.

Thanks

Reply to
a020024

is apparently burned out - can anyone tell me whether I need to replace the whole light or can I just replace the bulb inside the lamp? I haven't taken it apart yet but thought I'd have the right part in hand before I do so.

Reply to
Fred 2

You probably just need a 9007 bulb.

Reply to
Ed Mann

Thanks - does it matter that the high beams work but the low beams do not?

Reply to
a020024

Several people replied to my original post on this that it was probably just a bulb - and thanks very much for that. I neglected to add that the high beam on the passenger light works, but low beam does not. does that change anybody's answer?

My original post was : For a non car-techie, but a do it yourselfer, - the headlight on my 96 Explorer is apparently burned out - can anyone tell me whether I need to replace the whole light or can I just replace the bulb inside the lamp? I haven't taken it apart yet but thought I'd have the right part in hand before I do so.

Thanks

Reply to
a020024

just a bulb - and thanks very much for that. I neglected to add that the high beam on the passenger light works, but low beam does not. does that change anybody's answer?

headlight on my 96 Explorer is apparently burned out - can anyone tell me whether I need to replace the whole light or can I just replace the bulb inside the lamp? I haven't taken it apart yet but thought I'd have the right part in hand before I do so.

Reply to
Steve G

No. The high beam is used less than the low beam. Probably a bad bulb.

Reply to
Ed Mann

regarding the headlamps, my lenses are all foggy and the light isn't very bright (95 Explorer XLT) I tried taking one of the lenses out poured some CLR in and rinsed it out, didn't un-fog it.

The inside looks nice and shiny, but the outside is still foggy. I've looked at the headlamps on other 95 explorers and they are nice and clear compared to mine.

Is there something I can do to polish the outside of the headlamp?

Thanks, Mike

Explorer is apparently burned out - can anyone tell me whether I need to replace the whole light or can I just replace the bulb inside the lamp? I haven't taken it apart yet but thought I'd have the right part in hand before I do so.

Reply to
flakrat