headlight replacement on 96 SLC2

I have a headlight out on my 96 saturn SLC2 do I just have to replace the bulb or do I have to replace the entire headlight?

Thanks

Reply to
revms

Unless the lens is cracked, replace just the bulb.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I suggest you replace both bulbs. Either the other one will go out in a couple of weeks, or you will have one bright white new bulb and one dull orangish old bulb.

Also, don't bother with any of the fancy "HID-like" or "Blue light" bulbs. Stick with either standard name-brand or Sylvania SilverStars.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If it isn't "dull orangish" already, how is replacing the other bulb going to cause it to become so?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I am just betting that there will be a noticeable difference between the new bulb and old bulb (playing the odds).

Steve

Reply to
Steve

So what if there is? It doesn't mean the old one is no good.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It can be disconcerting to some drivers if the lighting isn't balanced. And maybe misleading a bit. I almost always replace them 2 at a time and put the extra in the glove box. When another goes I put the old one back in till I get a chance to replace them. Or buy 2 and put them in the glove box until one of the old ones goes.

Reply to
DLR

If the popup headlamp in the '96 is just like it is in my '92 (which I believe it is), there is no separate bulb IIRC. It's a big honkin' sealed glass lamp that needs to be replaced. There is no separate lens.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I guess part of the answer depends on what the OP meant by "SLC2": SL2 or SC2. The SL2 does not have popup headlamps.

Reply to
Doug Miller