Changing headlight bulb on Signum / Vectra C

Give us a clue! The manual goes on about the passenger side having the removable washer bottle neck, but fails to mention the gap too small for a child's hand on the drivers side! How do you remove the drivers side headlight bulb?

I have tried to remove the headlight assembly by removing the 2 bolts on the top, but it seems like there is a third bolt hidden somewhere, and it won't come out. the only other way I can think is to remove the entire airbox, but that looks like a lot of work just to change a bulb. Is there an easier way? (53 plate 2.0 turbo diesel if it makes a difference with the airbox etc)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

on many cars it is easiest to reove the adjacent wheel and inner mudguard and reach through that way

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Not exactly a roadside job then. To think that the French insist you carry a spare bulb kit so that you can change any bulb on the spot...

Modern cars are just not made with ease of repair in mind - even things that should be a standard DIY service item like a bulb.

Mind you, on that premise, were I take my Mini to France I'd need a 7" sealed beam unit in the boot along with my pair of screwdrivers... plus ca change then!

Reply to
asahartz

I'm pretty sure it's doable without removing anything, but it does help if you know exactly how everything comes apart. Air box isn't that hard to come out on these, so it's probably the easiest option, as it'll let you see exactly what you're doing.

Reply to
moray

Cant you get H4 replacements for them these days?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

The manual says to change the fog light bulbs you have to take it to a dealers! Apparently you have to drop the bumper off to get at the holders (old sheets required to stop it getting scratched too?). No mention of removing the airbox for the drivers side, but it does say to remove the washer bottle neck to get to the passenger side.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

He answers himself...

Would still require a screwdriver at a guess though.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

That's very common these days. That's what it says for our Lupo and Fabia.

The famous one, of course, is Golf IV headlight bulbs- possible but tricky without removing the bumper- which is what official manuals say to do.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes, but I have a big stash of sealed beams so I haven't bothered.

Reply to
asahartz

At minimum, a cross-point and preferably a pair of pliers to detach/reattach the spring. Always assuming the screws on the back haven't rusted up.

But then many modern cars, like our Previa, need a screwdriver to remove the rear light clusters to replace a bulb anyway.

Reply to
asahartz

Try doing it on my front ones. Flip up the lights, turn light stalk back one to hold the lights up and off. Remove 6 plastic surround retaining screws, remove 2 chrome lamp retaining screws, withdraw lamp and replace H4. Reverse process to re-assemble. :) Damn pop-up headlights!

Reply to
Coyoteboy