Explorer Load Weight Capacity?

I'm getting ready to lay a new laminate floor and can save some $$ if I can eliminate delivery. Any thoughts on trying to haul about 600 pounds in the back of a 2005 4X2 Explorer? Travel distance would be about 15 miles with no serious hills. My door panel shows a GAWR of

3200lb, but I don't know base vehicle weight so I don't know how to use that number. I would appreciate any feedback from the experts. Thanks for your help, JW
Reply to
JW

Shouldn't be a problem. It's barely more than a quarter ton. The whole truck might weight 4000 #, if half is on the rear axle then it's got 2000 # on it leaving another 1200# of capacity. Most likely the truck is not actually rated for 1200# of cargo though. Just spread the load out in back so you don't have it all hanging behind the axle.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

And in worse case, make two trips? Personally I agree with Ashton, should not be a problem. Just don't try to bring your three 285 lb buddies with you when you pick 'em up!

Reply to
PeterD

Don't think you will have any problems at all for that short distance. I hauled several loads of sod for my back yard and all the materials for tiling my kitchen and bath with my Explorer. Using my head, for fairly short (10-20 mile) trips , no problems at all.

Reply to
sparky01

Thanks for all the responses. That's what I was hoping to hear, but I'd never loaded it down like that before. It sure will save me some money. Thanks again, JW

Reply to
JW

I remember my Dad hauling stuff in his 58 pickup with it so loaded down that the springs were fully compressed and the tires where squished to half their normal height (Bias, not radial). It made it to the dump (at low speed).

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That's like having the mother-in-law and her sister in the back, right?

GeorgeC

Reply to
George Csahanin

I had brought home about 1500 LBS of ceramic tile one day in my 99 XLT, and most of it was put towards the front. I did have to drive the truck slow, but still manageable.

Reply to
Mikepier

There is what you can do, what you should do, and what Ford says is OK. We used to stack 2500 lbs in the back of a Ranger - you could do it; you shouldn't do it; Ford would say it was not OK.

If you want to know what Ford says is OK, read the certification label on the door and go weigh the truck.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I agree with everyone that it shouldn't be a problem. Heck, I've been driving around with 500 pounds of inverters and panels and such for months because it's too heavy to get out. But mine is in a '91.

Reply to
Ulysses