Ford Explorer Electrical Problems

I am having some problems with my ford explorer. It is a 1999 and I just bought it from someone. When I push on the brakes, my parking lights come on. Doesn't matter if it is running or off or whatever. Also my cruise control works fine-until i turn my headlights on. Then the cruise turns off. And if my headlights are on, can't even turn the cruise on. And the power windows only work from the driver door. Each door can not run their own window. And my rear windshield wiper doesn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks

Reply to
Tori

First thought for the brake lights/cruise control would be a bad ground at a taillight (after making sure the PO hasn't made a mess of any trailer wiring). Have an assistant step on the brake and see if any one brake light is brighter than the other....This is going to be the same problem that affects the cruise control... Feedback through the system will make the CC think the brakes are applied whenever the lights are turned on....

For the power windows, first check the position of the window lock switch.... If that isn't it, suspect a broken wire in the rubber bellows between drivers door and A pillar....

Rear wiper may be electrical problem but the wiper motor shaft often siezes where it comes through the liftgate....

Jim Warman "If ya can't fix it, whack it with a hammer"

Reply to
Jim Warman

After checking for bad wires (as suggested) I'd check the output voltage of the alternator. I've had funny things like that happen when the voltage was too high.

Reply to
Ulysses

Thank you very much. I will definetely try out these suggestions! Thank you!

Reply to
Tori

Thanks so much! You seem to be right on! You're a huge help!

Reply to
Tori