Grey Step Bars-repaint or replace?

I have a '98 Explorer Sport 2dr, and have developed the usual rust on the grey step bars, in particularly the driver's side. Anyways, has anyone had their step bars repainted, replaced them with a new set of factory step bars, or went to an aftermarket brand? Looking for the best cost effect option without having to deal with these rust spot every six years! I only wish they offer the factory step bars in stainless steel or chrome form like I saw on a Sport Trac!

Reply to
Xx

I'd have them bead-blasted and powder-coated.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

Reply to
Dave Cilluffo

I repainted ours but the rust came back within months. If it were up to me I'd take 'em off but the wife likes them.

SMC]

Reply to
MOTO

When they powder-coat them, they will bake on the finish, but what about the plastic curve end caps of the step bars? Can they be painted in a way that they are complement the finish of the powder-coated step bars? And how do you get the black Explorer step pad/inlay off these step bars without damaging them. The best price I found for new step bars are 175 per side.

Reply to
Xx

What did they charge you to repaint them?

Reply to
Xx

"Xx" wrote in news:VGuVc.1538$VY.28@trndny09:

I had the driver's side step bar blasted, repainted, and plastic coated ("clear-bra"?) for $100 when a shop was doing some other work. The repair is about two years old now and still looks fine.

Reply to
Clark

I pried them off and almost every tab that holds them on broke off in the process. I bought some of those plastic ribbed thingys, drilled a few holes, and pushed them in. Works great.

SMC

Reply to
MOTO

I wire wheeled them to bare metal and painted them with that spray on bedliner stuff. Looked good until the salt got to them last winter.

SMC

Reply to
MOTO

After you powder coat the bars, drill couple of holes underneath, have your local rustproofing shop blast them and seal them up with plugs. That ought to stop the rust coming back through from the inside.

Steve R

Reply to
Stephen Read