Invoice price of VUE?

I am close to buying a 2004 V6 VUE. Either that or a Honda Pilot LX. Same engine.

Now that I am deep into price negotiations with both dealers - I need some real-world info from other Saturn owners. Can one negotiate a lower price for a new Saturn vehicle than the one listed on sticker? Forget about the dealer add-ons, etc - I already got those removed; I'm talking about the MSRP. I'm looking at $21,960 and $595 destination charge.

I've know 2 people who said (think?) that they got lower prices - no trade-ins involved.

I also see a lot of online sites listing no dealer hold-back for Saturns and no invoice pricing.....but I found one that listed an invoice price ~ $1,500 below MSRP - and another that listed hold-back at 3%.

At this point I don't know WHAT to believe! :^)

Any other experiences you can share would be helpful. Thanks!

Reply to
Mike Yackanich

Are you sure the Vue you are buying has the Honda V-6? I thought that wasn't going to be available until later in the model year and then only in the Redline Models.

Ed

Mike Yackanich wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Yes - it's a V6. The RedLine has even more horsepower and I think that's a few months from being available....not sure though.

Reply to
MikeY

Dealer markup is 14% on Saturns

Reply to
Tenzo

Then the V-6 is the same Opel V-6 Saturn has been offering from the beginning. Only the Redline model will ahve the Hoda V-6 - or at least that is how I understand the situation.

Ed

MikeY wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

The Opel V6 is not available in the 2004 Vue. 2003 was the last year for it. In 2004 if you get a V6 it's the Honda.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Knapp

I just looked at the Saturn site and see that you are correct. Thanks for setting me straight. What is the difference between the standard Vue V-6 and the Redline model?

Ed

Ken Knapp wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed,

Here is some info on the Redline Vue from

Saturn Unveils Performane-Tuned VUE Red Line November 6, 2003 The 2004 VUE Red Line, the first in Saturn's new series of performance-tuned vehicles, represents the next step in Saturn's drive to generate new interest in the brand. On display at the 2003 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show, the limited-production sport utility features a lowered body, sport-tuned suspension and steering, a monochromatic exterior including ground effects, and aggressive 18-inch wheels and tires.

The VUE Red Line also has upgrades that will be featured across the

2004 VUE lineup, including a newly available 3.5-liter, 250-horsepower V6 engine and a number of exterior and interior refinements. Specifically engineered for Saturn VUE by Honda, the new powertrain is mated to an electronically controlled five-speed automatic with grade logic control, which helps eliminate hunting between gears - a benefit especially on hilly roads.

The VUE Red Line will be available in both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive. It is scheduled for production in December at Saturn's manufacturing facility in Spring Hill, Tennessee, and will be sold at retailers as a regular production option at $1,995.

"The VUE Red Line is designed for drivers who enjoy sporty ride and handling, but don't want to sacrifice the VUE's exceptional versatility," said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn's vice president for sales, service and marketing. "This specialty vehicle breaks new ground in the small SUV market and is positioned at the intersection of three important industry trends: surging small SUV sales, strong truck personalization and sport tuning. At the same time, the VUE Red Line calls attention to the many enhancements that we are making on the entire 2004 VUE lineup."

"Red Line" is the name that will be used on all future Saturn performance-tuned vehicles, including a special edition of the ION quad coupe that will come to market in early 2004. Red Line vehicles will carry a specific exterior emblem denoting its status within the Saturn family.

Saturn developed the Red Line vehicles with assistance from the General Motors Performance Division, an in-house center designed to explore potential enthusiast-oriented versions of production models. "Like the ION quad coupe, the VUE was designed for personalization, and Saturn was excited to work with the Performance Division on the Red Line series," said Jim Trucksis, VUE Red Line program manager. "In the VUE, we took an already significantly enhanced 2004 model and kicked it up a notch."

Performance-tuned features of the VUE Red Line include lower (by 26 mm) vehicle ride height and stiffer springs to reduce the center of gravity and body roll. A sport steering calibration improves responsiveness and has a firmer on-center feel. An aggressive 18-inch aluminum wheel and P245/50R18 Bridgestone Turanza performance touring tire package are also VUE Red Line exclusives. The combination significantly improves ride and handling, increases max lateral g's and gives the vehicle a distinctive "slammed" appearance.

Its custom looks include new rockers, rear fascia, front fascia with black air intakes, and chrome exhaust tip. Door and liftgate handles, along with mirror housings, are painted body color to finish off the monochromatic theme. The VUE Red Line will be available in Black Onyx, Silver Nickel or Electric Lime.

2004 VUE

The VUE Red Line comes standard with the new, advanced V6 engine that delivers 250 hp at 5800 rpm and 242 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm. Available as optional equipment on the 2004 VUE, the 3.5L V6 will give the vehicle an estimated 0-60 mph time of approximately 7 seconds.

In the standard VUE, the new powertrain also increases towing ability to 3,500 pounds and permits the vehicle to be flat-towed, compared to the

2,500-pound capacity of the 3.0L V6 engine it replaces. (Towing is not recommended with the VUE Red Line). VUEs equipped with the new V6 will meet the California ULEV-II emissions standard (ultra-low emissions vehicle). The new V6, which is mated to a five-speed automatic transmission, is just one of the enhancements Saturn is making to its VUE lineup for 2004. VUE customers can also continue to choose an Ecotec 2.2L inline four-cylinder engine, available with either a five-speed manual or the advanced VTi variable transmission.

Like the powertrain, the VUE Red Line benefits from enhancements being made to the interior of all 2004 VUE models, including new acoustical treatments to reduce noise inside the cabin, new seat fabric (V6 models) available six-way power driver seat, two new CD radios with MP3 readability and available XM Satellite Radio, a leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel and shift knob (V6 models), a back-lit instrument cluster with white gauge faces and chrome rings, and automatic headlamp control (standard on V6, optional on I4).

Safety enhancements on all 2004 VUE models include front seat-belt pretensioners and dual-stage air bags. Dual-stage air bags are designed to detect vehicle deceleration and, based on the deceleration data, provide an appropriate amount of air-bag inflation. The dual-level air-bag system senses the severity of a crash and determines whether to deploy the air bag with primary or "lower" amount of inflation or with primary and secondary "higher" amount of inflation. Dual-stage air bags are designed to help reduce the occurrence of inflation-induced injuries by deploying the air bag less forcefully in lower speed crashes.

Exterior changes for 2004 include dark-tinted rear door glass and new

17-inch machined aluminum wheels that are standard on all-wheel-drive V6 models, optional on the front-wheel-drive V6. Body-color door handles and chrome "SATURN" lettering in the liftgate eyebrow will be standard on non-Red Line V6 models.

The versatility of the VUE has been a major factor in its sales success since its introduction as a 2002 model. The VUE can carry five passengers, or can be configured to carry more than 63.8 cubic feet of cargo with features such as a second-row seat and front passenger seat that fold flat. VUE exceeded its sales goals in 2002 by more than 50 percent, topping

75,000 units, and sales through the first nine months of 2003 are 50 percent ahead of 2002. September retail sales calendar-year-to-date totaled 6,550 units, up 13 percent over the previous year and setting a new monthly record.

VUE RED LINE VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS:

Engine:

a.. 3.5-liter SOHC 60-degree V6 b.. Electronic throttle control c.. Sequential fuel injection d.. Induction and exhaust tuning e.. Isolated engine cradle f.. 250 horsepower @ 5800 rpm g.. 242 lb-ft of torque @ 4500 rpm h.. ULEV-II emissions compliant Transmission & Driveline:

a.. 5-speed automatic transmission with grade logic b.. All-wheel-drive and front-wheel-drive configurations c.. 4.06:1 final drive ratio Exhaust:

a.. High-flow catalytic converter and muffler b.. 3-inch diameter chrome exhaust tip Brakes:

a.. Front/rear vented disc/drum with power assist and standard ABS b.. 11.7-inch front, 9.8-inch rear Suspension:

a.. Independent strut-type with coil springs, anti-roll bar in front, independent trailing arm with three lateral locating links, anti-roll bar and coil springs in rear b.. Performance-tuned springs c.. 26-mm lower ride height Steering:

a.. Electric power-assisted rack-and-pinion, performance-tuned Wheels & Tires:

a.. 18-inch, 7-spoke aluminum wheels b.. P245/50-series Bridgestone Turanza performance touring tires Exterior:

a.. Monochromatic exterior with ground effects b.. Specific front fascia with black air intakes and stainless steel grille c.. Specific rear fascia with 3-inch chrome exhaust tip d.. Dark-tinted rear door glass e.. VUE Red Line badging on liftgate f.. Vehicle colors: Black Onyx, Silver Nickel, Electric Lime Interior:

a.. New acoustical package - door, floor, engine area b.. Available 6-way power driver's seat c.. Two new CD radios with MP3 playback d.. Available XM Satellite Radio e.. Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob f.. Backlit instrument panel with white gauge faces and chrome rings g.. Automatic headlamp control h.. Front seat belt pretensioners i.. Dual-stage air bags

Ken

Reply to
Ken Knapp

I work for a store in the midwest and your chances around here would be nil.. nevermind the pricing "philosopy" of most Saturn stores - the 04 V6 is in high demand and they only getting 25k engines for 04

Reply to
Kevin Miller