Hard to find reoccurrinng noise. Sounds like starter bendix.

Hi. Two weeks ago I experienced a very loud and strange noise that I thought was coming from my automatic transmission. Sounds like the starter bendix engaging. It first started when I was descending a steep grade and went from second to first gear manually, and within 10 seconds or so it started this loud noise. The noise would happen (while traveling at speeds anywhere from 30 to

60 mph) when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal. I soon discovered I could make the noise go away by accelerating slightly. And then I discovered I could prevent it from reoccurring by letting my foot off the accelerator pedal nice and easy. If I removed foot off the pedal quickly, the noise would return. But this doesn?t happen all the time. In fact, when I took it to the dealer to have the transmission problem checked, it would not make the noise. The mechanic took my Explorer home for two nights and still couldn?t get it to make the noise. He did a full service on it, and it like new in there. I have driven it for two weeks now and the noise reoccurs fairly often but not all the time. The loud noise also (kinda) sounds like the starter bendix engaging. I haven?t been back to the dealer since. I thought I would do some research myself, first. If anyone else has had this experience or something similar, please let me know what it is?

Thanks,

Len

Reply to
lad903