'97 starter noise

My 1997 Maxima recently started making a noise when I start it up. It doesn't always happen and it's unpredictable. After the car starts and I release the key there's sometimes a half-second or a second of a high pitched whirring noise. I guess it's a problem with the bendix releasing or something. I took it to the Nissan dealer and sure enough, they couldn't get it to make the noise. They said that in any case there's nothing for them to oil or whatever and that the only thing they could do would be to replace the starter (for $400). Is replacing the starter the only solution? Do I need to do it soon? I'd rather put it off but I don't want to be stranded somewhere.

Reply to
Curtis

There is common problem where the starter bendix does not immediately disengage after cranking. You get that kind of noise.

Fortunately you can greatly improve or fix the problem. Remove the starter and take apart/clean the bendix part of the starter. Regrease it and it will work much better. There is more info linked on

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Where is the information about this problem at maxima..org ?

Reply to
Curtis

From

dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Blank page.

Reply to
Curtis

Also try Motovate's site;

His site is awesome for 4th gen Maximas.

CD

Reply to
codifus

That's the link i provided. Last night his site wasn't working correctly, but it comes up for me now.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman