Heat Stuck on Hot - Help!

Hi All,

Thanks for stopping by my post.

I'm having a problem with the heater on my 97 XLT. All controls operate as normal, except for the temperature knob. Regardless of where I turn it I only get HOT air blowing. All fan speeds and airflow positions work just fine, but the air temp is maxed out regardless of the dial setting.

I'm thinking it has to be a damper door that is stuck someplace but I don't know where to check for this. I have a Chilton's CD, and it shows access to the damper door behind the glovebox, but that is for mechanical 'sliders' for the heater controls, not the electrical knob.

Regards, Ken

Reply to
Kenny

Google "blend door" for this group..... you might want to make a big pot of coffee....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim... Found a little light reading, including your breakdown of the repair.

Pot of coffee? More like a bottle of whiskey!! I'm not happy with what I read - especially considering it sounds like a poor design, but what am I gonna do. Could be worse - could be blowing cold air instead of hot. At least I can still drive it in the winter (I mostly drive my Mustang GT Ragtop in the summer).

Coming to Calgary any time soon? I still haven't found a shop here I really trust.

Thanks again for the tip and you previous info.

Cheers, Ken

Reply to
Kenny

Before you rip the dash out, have you checked the heater valve ??????

Getting vacuum ???????

I would check the simple things first

If it's a ohv its next to the heater box If its a sohc its in front of the engine on the right side next to the timing cover

Reply to
johanb

I think it has vacuum. I can change the air selector just fine. Is that driven by the same vacuum?

Reply to
Kenny

yes, did you find the heater valve , do both hoses stay hot ?????????? must be if it keeps blowing hot air , turn from hot too cold and see if valve moves

or

replace valve, there not that expensive

Reply to
johanb