heat on the right leg. exhaust heat protections??

Hi there,

This is my first post onto this newsgroup, since I have only had my mx-5 nb1

1.8 for two weeks now :)

I think there is no need to coment all the good things about the car, so I will go straight to the point:

When I am driving for more than 30', the interior part, close to the driver's right leg gets hot. It gets so hot that I have to put the AC for a while, even if it's not hot outside. I guess this will be a 'plus' during the extreme winter (which is rare around here in Spain!), but it's quite unconfortable during the rest of the year...

I guess the heat comes from the engine, transmision, or more probable, exhaust system, which sees to run just at the other side where I am being baked...

1) Is this a common problem, or I have some heat protections broken? 2) has anybody deal with this problem in an easy and cheap manner?

thank you and regards

Reply to
Joaquín Topiso

This is more than common--it's an inevitable part of owing an older MX-5. Under the decorative vinyl outer shift boot, there are two rubber inner boots: a lower one on the transmission to keep dirt out of the shift turret, and an upper one to seal the hole in the floorpan where the shift lever enters. The upper one is torn, allowing hot air around the exhaust system to enter the interior. Chances are the lower boot is torn as well, so plan on replacing both of them. Might as well clean and refill the shift turret while you're in there. See

Another cause is an air mix door that doesn't close all the way, so the heater cannot be shut off completely. To adjust the cable, remove the glovebox and the rest will be obvious.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Ok, thank you for the info and the link. I'll have look when I find the time (meanwhile winter is almost here, so I am not in a hurry really ;)

Yes, I knew that one, but the heat is not coming from the venting openings... so I guess the problem is not that.

Thank you!

Reply to
Joaquín Topiso

Good information. However the transmission tunnel in my '04 also throws off a lot of heat. It's very noticeable as I live in FL and the temp is often over 90. This car is too new to have any kind of gasket-type problems, isn't it? I just figured it one of the very few minuses that came with owning an otherwise wonderful car.

Reply to
Carbon

At a guess, three years is plenty of time for the rubber to split, especially in Florida. You won't know until you check. Pulling the console is easy.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers