Help with 1993 Explorer part

1993 4dr 4WD V6.

I had front end-work done on my car. The mechanic, whom I know well, said my front hubs had 2 plastic washers (2 on each side) that needed replacing, but he couldn't find "just the washers." He's called around and everyone told him that the only way to get the washers is to buy the whole hub assy., a $300 cost. Needless to say I said leave them for now since I don't currently need/use 4WD.

What are these washers called? Who can possibly sell "just the washers"?

Reply to
Zilla

I believe it's the washers shown here...

Zilla

I don't know which plastic washers you are looking for in that assembly. The "fragile" parts include a three-fingered plastic actuator/cam follower inside the hub, There's a plastic cam that rides on the end of the spindle and around the stub axle. Further inside the hub, there are two plastic toothed sections. One is permanently part of the hub housing, while the other is driven by the stub axle through a little splined sleeve. Do any of these descriptions sound like the part your mechanic describes? It really doesn't matter much, since the individual parts are not available anyway.

A few months ago, I tossed all 8 of the spare hubs I'd gathered over the years for my '92. Sold the car with the original hubs still working fine, and saw no need for the spares any more. Oh well...

dr bob

"Zilla" wrote:

Reply to
dr bob

Thanks dr. bob. They're the parts highlighted here, called thrust spacers.

Zilla

Here's an article on repairing the auto hubs which you may at least find interesting. The author seems to think that bearings are usually the problem with the hubs.

Ulysses