hubs

Hopefully, I won't get too badly abused for asking this but here goes......

I've had a 99 and an 01 wrangler. They were great, when I needed to be in 4 wheel drive I just pulled the lever. Well, now I have the Jeep that I've been looking for. It's an 82 Scrambler. Now, I need a bit of learning on the hubs.

  1. Does anyone make an aftermarket "auto" locking hub or anything similar?
  2. What happens if you leave them locked? I recently looked at a cj8 that was owned by a fire dept. There was a label on the dash that said to "leave the hubs locked". That one was an automatic though.

be gentle.....

Reply to
MFM JOS

IMO....that's one reason I like the older Jeeps....by having the front unlocked/disconnected while everyday driving, you save it from wear and tear. The CJ 4 wheel drive system is a 2 part action, the t case and the hubs. While the others are a t case followed by a vacumm axle connect. The front diff innerds and the shafts are still spinning at speed (pushed by the rotation front wheels) No thank you. So no, don't leave them locked. The fire dept. did for speed and the Jeep wasn't a daily driver (high milage). I think they do make auto hubs...don't know if for the Dana 30....but if they did, why?

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Could it be that Scrambler had a T/H 400 with a Quadratrac? Amazingly my '82 Scrambler had that setup with a Q-trac swapped INTO it!! (Stock center-pumpkin rear axle, offset t-case output, imagine a VERY ugly rear driveshaft) But one of my friends thought he would unlock the front hubs for me. It didn't move. Only with the hubs locked would the T-case spin anything. Since the poster said it was an auto that would be my guess.

Juat a thought, Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish

I had automatic hubs on my Suburban. I believe that they are available for your model Jeep too. The ones I had didn't work very well...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You can do this but I'm not sure why you would. You can adapt the solid hubs intended for the rear on Warn full-floater kits. However, all you;re going to do is increase the wear on the front axle, front driveshaft and xfer case & associated components. You're far better off manually locking/unlocking the hubs.

Congratulations on the Scrambler, enjoy.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

You don't need autolocking hubs.

You can lock the hubs when yo get to the trailhead, then shift into and out of 4WD as needed, or you can lock the hubs at home is you think you will be using 4WD that day.

I leave my hubs locked pretty much all the time in my '81 CJ5.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I usually leave 'em unlocked to reduce wear, tear and fuel consumption. The only time I'll lock 'em in is when I'm going to a soupy area off-road. The only exception is on rare occasion just to slosh the gear lube and move everything around. Even then, it's only to work and back. I'm not too keen on the idea of an automatic hub just because I like the ability to go completely manual (ex. using the brake to manage torque in an open differential). o_o_o_o Best Regards, /| ,[_____], Jim, WP3JQ |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O- ()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_) EM60qk 30.447439N 086.628959W

Reply to
Drink