How hard is it to replace seatbelt?

I have a 1993 Explorer Sport and I need to take the old seatbelt and replace it. The stitching rotted out from where it attaches to the bracket in the floorboard. I found the bolt that holds the bracket in to the floorboard and saw that I need a set of Torx drivers to take it and the bracket where the seatbelt goes thru up near the roof. Are there going to be any problems I will run into while taking the seatbelt out? I plan on a nice used one from a junkyard in, and figured I would take mine out first, so that I know what I am doing when I get to the junkyard (I will be removing the replacement from a junker myself). Thanks in advance...

Jarrod

Reply to
Jennifer Smith

I just replaced the seatbelt on my '94 with a new aftermarket one I found for $50. It took about 2 hours to remove and replace including time it took to cut a hole in the plastic trim because the rewind mechanism is a little thicker than the original. Works great. I'd favor a new one over a junkyard one for safety.

It's pretty straightforward to replace, you'll have to remove the seat which is easy - 4 easily accessible bolts. Use the new bolts and washers that come with the replacement belt.

Reply to
Bob

If I recall correctly you also need the Torx bit just to remove the plastic insert that covers the bolts. I found mine to be torqued down very tightly and needed a breaker bar to loosen them.

Reply to
Ulysses

Just a quick update on this. I got a garage to take the bolt out from the floorboard (rather than scrape any more knuckles). I took the entire seatbelt to an upholstery repair shop that has a heavy duty (industrial) sewing machine. Got the seatbelt sewn good as new for $5 and reinstalled it that night. I decided against going with a belt out of a junker since I had so much trouble trying to get the bolt out of the floorboard on mine. Also decided against an aftermarket belt due to previous post regarding different size and having to modify the trim.

Jarrod

Reply to
Jennifer Smith

Glad you found an inexpensive fix. The problem with mine was the retractor mechanism was inop. So I had to replace with a whole new belt. I didn't have any trouble with any of the bolts, they were tight but a

3/8 drive rachet easily unbolted them. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to recheck the torque on the replacment's bolts in a few weeks (but I'll forget...)
Reply to
Bob