How to adjust rear door opening height?

Hi all,

I have a 2000 xlt. When I'm parked in my garage and open the rear door it hits the top of my garage entry (resulting in paint scratches). I was hoping someone here could either point me towards some online instructions or share their knowledge on how to adjust the opening height so that it stops at a lower level. Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions you can offer!

--BlueHeron :o)

Reply to
blueheron

"blueheron" wrote

that it stops at a

I have the same vehicle, and the same problem. Here is how I solved the problem. Since I only open that rear door at the same spot in my garage, I have an old cardboard box of suitable size (mine is about 6" x 6" x 6") which I keep near that spot, and when I open the rear door I place that box between the edge of the door and the ceiling.

Best regards.

Reply to
CWLee

Okay, now I feel really dopey! ;o) I should have thought of something like that a long time ago! LOL

Thanks, Blue

Reply to
BlueHeron

OK. How about stapling/screwing/gluing the box to the ceiling, so it is always in place - even if you forget? Or your hands are full?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

ceiling, so it is

full?

Good idea!

In my case it wouldn't work, because the "ceiling" at that point is the inside of my opened garage door; when the garage door is closed the box would interfere with back windshield wiper.

Nevertheless, good thinking!

Reply to
CWLee

Seems to me that would be controlled by the two pneumatic struts the hold up the door. Perhaps if you replaced them with slightly shorter ones. Of course then you'd hit your head on it...

Reply to
Al Williams