How to pad and carpet cargo area?

I recently had an Explorer re-carpeted. In the cargo area the bumps and ridges of the metal floor are very pronounced and the surface is not flat and cushioned as it was originally. The shop that did the carpeting said they used padding, but the result is clearly not like original. Does anyone know how thick the padding should be, or if there's anything else an auto uphostery recarpting job should do to flatten and cushion the floor in the cargo area as it is with all original carpeting?

Reply to
Scot

They may have used padding, the problem is that they did not compensate for the strengthening channels. In order to do a more perfect fit you must remove the carpet and padding, then what you have to do is cut strips of additional padding the length and width of the recesses. Doing this will again make your cargo area flat. I did the same thing when restoring my 81 Bronco, after the carpet and pad settled down into the recesses it really looked horrible. I took it all back out and fixed it the way I ahve explained, now it looks great. Since I used better than average padding its more comfortable too.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Thanks. Someone told me he thought that originally there were actual strips of wood slats in the metal recesses of the floor. Does anyone know if that's true?

Reply to
Scot

When I removed the original carpet form my Bronco there was "cardboard" type material only more durable. It was not however wood. I would think that the wood if not treated would hold moisture, and you do not want that. You could probably use strips of laminant then put some poly on it. Glue that into the slots then put down your pad then carpet.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

"Scot" wrotenews:MRwdd.3690$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Just for information.

I've done this about 4 times and it works great on a hot sunny non-hummid day.

I simply use a garden hose, after disconnecting all seat electrical stuff, and put soak the carpet and use TIDE detergent and a scrub brush. I also open the water holes underneath the chassis.

I then use a dustpan to get out most of the water, flush, water out, flush, then use a wet/dry vaccum cleaner for the rest.

Then it's in the sun for a day, with all windows open and doors ( tape down the door light pins or disconnect the battery.)

Brand new clean carpet!

Oh, and I prespot the bad stains a couple of hours before and scrub with a stiff brush.

-- riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi