Just quit, no noise - timing chains?

1999 Ford Explorer - suddenly just quit running. No noise, no nothing. A mechanic is trying to tell me he has to completely take apart the engine and replace 2 timing chains inside on the bottom because "maybe a plastic piece broke off". After it's all back together again, if that didn't work then he'll take the whole engine apart again and replace 2 bent rods.....I hate getting treated like a stupid female. I am not a mechanic, but that doesn't sound right to me. I have never heard of 2 timing chains and aren't they on the side - not underneath and inside? Also, if a "plastic divider" on the chain(s) broke wouldn't there have been noise?
Reply to
featherann1

Can you be more descriptive on what happened? Does the engine turn over but not start?

Things to check:

1) If it's the SOHC engine, it had issues with it's intake gaskets. On mine, the whole engine just shut down while driving and would not start up. There was a partial extended warranty on this issue but it my case all the gaskets needed to be replaced as the engine developed a massive vacuum leak. 2) If it doesn't turn over at all check the battery. If it sounds seized then it may be the timing chain. Of course if your timing chain failed you would expect a lot of noise. 3) Again, if this is the SOHC engine there were extended warranties on this engine w.r.t. timing chain noise, etc., depending on your mileage. Check with a Ford dealer to see if you can get the issue addressed for free.
Reply to
Al Williams