engine noise 99 ranger

I know noises are tricky over the mail but I have a funny noise when the truck idles and I though it worth a post. Its a 4.0L V6 4X4 1999 5spd ranger and when the oil is cold it runs quietly. When up to temp I can hear a 'clack' sound in time with the engine. Its not very loud at all but its coming from the bottom of the engine I think .Its much louder down there.

The truck runs smooth and theres lots of power. Not burning any oil and theres no funny lights or guages reading high or anything like that.

It crossed my mind these engines might have timing chains inside? Maybe that is what I can hear? Its not a loud noise. Sounds like a small diesel engine if you go underneath the truck though. Any thoughts? I dont want to get hosed for a big engine repair if not needed. Equally if its a timing chain I dont want to run it anymore until its right.

Andy

Reply to
Andyt

If its a ohv its probably carbon knock

Dont worry about it

You can try using chevron gas or add techron to your gastank

Reply to
johanb

if equipped with SOHC V6 possible timing chain tensioners and guides exhibit same symptom.

Reply to
clemdog