Shut off my 92 XLT this morning and it wouldn't restart. Minor lights
go on, but when I turn the key to the "On" position everything goes
dead or almost dead. And of course it won't start on it's own
I jumped it with my portable jumper, and it started several times. So
I thought it was the battery, which is pretty old. I see a code J9 on
this DieHard. That, believe it or not, tells me October 1999. And I
checked my owners manual, and sure enough it shows my last battery
replacement 50,000 miles ago, in January 1999! That's a lot of time
for one battery. I removed the battery and used my voltmeter. It's
showing about 60 volts with no load. (Not sure what that number means)
But there's little question the battery is drained and won't oeprate
under full load.
So I jumped it again and started off for the shop. But I noticed that
the alternator gauge is steady sometimes and then starts to jump
around as I'm driving steadily. Seems to me a worn battery would not
make the gauge do that. Is that right, or could that be the battery?
Cables were tight with no visible corrosion. No apparent problem with
the drive belt. Is that likely the alternator? Regulator is part of
the alternator on the Explorer, no? Any other possibilities? Could it
simply be the battery.
Thanks as always.