Mothers CA Gold Clay Bar

Hello everyone, I wanted to share my experience with this product. I purchased the Mothers Clay Bar System at Checker today. I tested it on my 1997 Explorer XLT. The results are amazing, the paint is sooo smooth and reflective it's crazy. It removed black overspray (from when I painted the Explorer's rear pillars) Although the clay bar may seem small, it covers the Explorer with ease. Afterwards you have to wax since it removes your current wax. Overall I would recommend this to anyone...It's about $16...It includes the clay, a spray bottle of "Instant detailer" (used for lube between the clay and paint) and a sample of Mothers Wax. They claim it can be used 3 times for an "average" sized vehicle. However "average" is probably Mazda Miata size... Best regards, Joe

Reply to
Joe G.

I used it to get overspray off of my Lexus last year and it was WONDERFUL. Really a miracle product. I thought I'd have to get the entire car repainted but this stuff saved me. I agree with your assessment.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

I've only heard about this product so I'm a little fuzzy as to how it works. Is it actually "clay" or something else? Is it soft? Is there any chance of something abrasive being caught in it and grinding into your paint? How often would you have to use something like this as opposed to a normal wax job?

dave

Reply to
Dave

Good to hear about this product and your good results with it.

Another similar product is 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze. Great stuff, will give the same results in the same situations. Always apply a wax after using these products, as they do remove any hint of wax on the surface.

Don't go crazy with any of this stuff! Apply lovingly, with a CLEAN cloth on a CLEAN vehicle. And NEVER in a circular motion, always a straight side-to-side motion in the direction that air flows over the car when driving. Not for reduced friction, but if you do scratch (or "swirl") the paint, it will only be visible from one direction. A scratch is only visible from the side (perpendicular), so a straight line scratch is only visible from each side. A circular scratch is visible from *every* angle.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Goff

It's more like the consistency of Silly Putty. You roll it into a ball and squirt this detailer stuff that comes with it onto the car. The liquid lubricates it while you rub this ball (which becomes flat against the car) against the paint. It picks up everything on the paint! But not the paint! I am telling you, my mother spray painted a shelf in our driveway and got white paint overspray all over my 2002 Lexus ES300. I was SICK about it and thought I'd need a new paint job/new car! The guy at the local auto parts store sold me the Clay Bar and, with a little elbow grease and about 2 hours the car was like new again. Worked on the glass and plastic too. Every speck of spraypaint was removed. I swear by it.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Yes, the clay is soft and flexible

Well, after every panel you are instructed to work the clay to expose a new clean side. And they clearly mention, if you drop it on the ground to discard it.

I'm planning on every 6 months. But, my explorer is pampered in between.

This might be helpful, I found this mothers video on another forum explaining the procedure.

Joe G.

Reply to
Joe G.

I guess my links only work if you edit copy/paste them into your address bar... Joe

Reply to
Joe G.