paint protectant/wax replacement/coats

I've been wondering if anyone has got good things to say about any paint protectant/wax replacement/coats.

I love how the water just falls off the car after the wax job and dirt just wipes off with a clean cloth or hose.

It seems to take my 1/2 an hour to wash the car but like another hour to buff the wax to get it right which leads me to wonder if there is a better way.

I want:

-always slippery surface so that I can just hose down car or do a light wash and dirt falls off

-something like wax but I don't have to apply it over and over again

1) I've seen clear bras and other films based on the 3M Scotchcal plastic. Price is around $500 including installation which is kind of high and doesn't even cover the entire car. Not sure if it is a replacement for waxing it.

2) I've seen "clear coats". Not sure what these are except it seems they just paint your car with clear plastic paint. Not sure if it is a replacement for waxing it.

3) I've seen 5 Star Shine
which is like wax but says lasts for a year.

Are there any other car treatments available that I don't know about or does anyone have anything to say about the above?

Just post here thanks.

Reply to
nobody

My opinions, worth what they cost you ;>)

I've never used 5 Star Shine, but the claims they make stretch credulity way beyond my limits and their prices are high. If it worked as well as advertised, every detailer and car buff in the world would use it. I can show you web pages that offer scientific-sounding proof that a tea brewed from garden weeds cures cancer -- but I wouldn't trust my life to it.

Clear bras are a good idea if you do a lot of driving on the kinds of roads where you get pelted with gravel kicked up from other cars. In addition to the expense of installation, they are not invisible up close and can cause paint to fade unevenly over time on cars parked in the sun. That's why most people stick to old-fashioned wax.

Almost all new cars have a factory clear coat. The protection packages sold by dealers and aftermarket companies are high-profit ripoffs that don't last anywhere near as long as advertised.

A good quality natural Carnauba wax can last several months, and nothing looks better. But there is a huge spread in price and quality between brands. (My personal favorite is S100 from a Harley-Davidson motorcycle shop. It is identical to the highly-rated and substantially more expensive PS21S German paste wax.)

There are some good artificial polymer protectants that can last six months or more. Klasse and Zaino are highly regarded.

Surface prep is important no matter what you use, and sometimes washing isn't enough. A polish can remove swirl marks and minor scratches while making a faded finish look new. Before applying a top coat of wax or polymer, serious detailers use a clay bar to remove surface contaminants like sap and tar that can eventually damage the finish.

But since you apparently are looking for a minimalist approach, less work and longer shine, I'd recommend a three-step process every six months.

1.) Wash thoroughly with a mixture of Dawn dishwashing liquid. It will remove the old wax, which is why you should NOT use it for routine car washing. Rinse well and dry with a clean cotton towel.

2.) Apply a tiny amount of Klasse All-In-One polish, doing a few square feet at a time and buffing as you go. Liquid shine, looks great.

3.) Apply a top coat of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. This will make the shine last, and it doesn't attract dust like a fresh coat of natural wax.

The work isn't as bad as it sounds, the Klasse is easier to remove than wax and you only have to apply it twice a year. After that, a quick wash is all it takes to keep the car looking new.

The result is better protection than that $500 dealer treatment at a fraction of the expense.

If you're willing to spend $10 for a detailed comparison of the shine, durability and ease of application of 46 commonly available waxes and polishes -- along with useful tips on how to apply them with minimal work and maximum results -- order the wax test from

If you care about your car and don't like wasting money or effort to keep it looking good, it's money well spent.

Reply to
Skid

In my experience, it is safer (though more expensive) to just use more car shampoo than normal. Richard

Reply to
marlinspike

Just passing along the recommendation from the Zaino Bros. They seem to know their stuff. Quoting from their application tips page:

"I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free. I don't advise making a habit of washing your car with Dawn. But for this scenario it's fine. High alkaline products like Dawn are tough on polishes. It will never harm the paint finish though. A car wash is made specifically to clean without removing durable polishes."

Reply to
Skid

Times have changed. My experience with dish soap is from years ago...I guess maybe they have become less damaging to paint over the years. My only experience was that after using dish soap once the car would look dry and dull unless i waxed it once a week. Richard

specifically

marlinspike

Bought a SL500 in the mid nineties which had a protective coat applied to it by its previous owner (can't remember the name of the product I'm afraid) but it worked a treat, used the wash products that came with the car and the finish was excellent looked better than new.

I know of a couple of cars that have had been Diamondbrite'd and have been impressed, and I am at the moment looking for someone local to me that I can trust to do the job properly on one of my cars. I have also heard good reports of a Teflon coating.

In short, if properly done and using the recommended aftercare products then I have been impressed, but make sure that the product has at least a 5 year guarantee (Diamondbrite has a six year one I believe) as the price would be high for only a year or so.

Reply to
whistler