MSD Ignition for my Explorer?

I am currently considering an MSD ignition system for my 2000 ford explorer. does anyone have any experience with these systems? and can you tell me specifically how to install it on an explorer. i've read MSD manuals online but they don't make too much sense to me because i dont know that much about ignition systems. can anyone tell me specifically what kind of ignition a 2000 explorer has, and how it works? also, i know how the MSD ignition works, but how does it connect and work in conjunction with my other ignition components? thanks

Reply to
almfreak

The question bears asking... "Why do you want to install and MSD ignition?"... Without a good "why", the rest is moot....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well duh Jim, he'll get 100 more HP and 50 MPG! And if he switches to amsoil too, he'll get even more HP and MPG! It's a no brainer.

Reply to
Bob

Gee... all he really needs is the MSD decal for the HP gain...

Reply to
Jim Warman

some people just can't recognize an excellent product.

I can personally vouch for the MSD ignition. Once I got all of the kinks worked out, the product worked great!! I don't even have to use gasoline any more; my car runs on water alone.

Reply to
newman

Well that's just great because bottled water costs 3X as much as gasoline.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

Everybody knows that you can make more power with "Perrier" bottle water. ;-)

Reply to
gordo

I used to think I wanted that too. I saw an impressive MSD countertop display at a local speed shop. The MSD plug unleashed a *dazzling* display of sparks compared to the wimpy plug next to it. Then A&P school changed my mind.

Ignition wires in aircraft are specifically meant to prevent multiple sparking. It just shortens plug life.

Shielding around cables reduces radio interference. Shielding + inner conductor acts as a capacitor, which fires the plug again after the main spark event. Resistance in conductor prevents that capacitive afterfire.

Since every spark will transfer a bit of metal from one electrode to the other, MSD seems like it would eat plugs fast.

Reply to
Beryl

Multiple striking is meant to keep the plugs clean and ensure that these lean mixtures are lit... obviously, aircraft maintenance requirements and schedules are vastly different from those applied to automobiles.... Many late model engines feature multi-striking from the factory... Aircraft don't have the same requirements for emissions.

At the same time, the factory ignition system on any stock engine, should be adequate for the task at hand...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ah, never heard of the multispark stuff. I thought there was sometimes just a wasted spark on the exhaust stroke.

Sure don't, avgas is exempt from the lead ban. And mixture control is up to the pilot, so it's seldom going to be just right. But on the bright side, there are dual ignition systems.

My "magneto" instructor told a story about when he was a kid driving his dad's old Ford farm truck. The engine caught fire, so he peed on it in an attempt to douse the flames, and got a shock that threw him on his ass.

Reply to
Beryl