My 91 is smoking out the vents

Hopefully someone can help me with this... I was on the highway for about an hour with the A/C running normally, all of a sudden smoke starts pouring out of my vents, I turn off the A/C and check under the hood. The fan motor? in the passenger/windshield corner is smoking a bit but not as much as what was coming out of the vents. I left the fan and A/C off and kept driving (everything else was normal) . This was 2 days ago and it runs fine, I haven't turned the fan or A/C back on. The mechanic told me today that he can't find ANY souce of smoke or burning and that the A/C is running just fine. What the!?!?!?!?

Reply to
TonyC

What did the smoke smell like?

Reply to
Dale Gribble

Reply to
TonyC

Not having been there, it's hard to tell - BUT, is it possible that it was actually water vapor? Under certain conditions (warm, humid outside air being drawn in and cooled to just the right temperature) the moisture in the air condenses into tiny droplets and forms a mist, exactly like how clouds form.

I've seen it happen in my '93 Villager, although never in my Mountaineer. It used to happen when the cabin air had been chilled down pretty cold using MAX A/C, and then I switched the A/C to draw in outside air.

Reply to
Dale Gribble

Reply to
TonyC

Most likely it's a blown heater core. It may look and smell like smoke but it's probably just hot coolant in the form of steam.

Reply to
Ulysses

Reply to
TonyC via CarKB.com

The whole thing now makes sense since the resistor that most likely burned out is in the blower housing. From under the hood the resistor is located inside the housing below the blower motor.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Sigman

Absolutely right. The blower motor resistor pack, inside the air manifold under the hood. There will be a 3 or 4 pin connector going to the pack and it pulls out of the manifold.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

Reply to
TonyC via CarKB.com

Don't let him take the a/c unit out of the dash! There's no need. Just get him to check the fan speed resistor pack as stated by the two other posters in this thread. You probably blew two of the resistors and just need to replace the board. I hope you don't get soaked.

Reply to
Jimmy the Hand

Reply to
TonyC via CarKB.com