OHV or SOHC

Hi, can anybody explain me what the difference is between OHV and SOHC ? i can't know that here. Thank you very much Claude from France

OHV = Over Head Valves. The valves are operated by push rods from a cam mounted in the block between the banks.
SOHC = Single Over Head Cam. The valves are operated by a cam mounted in the head. (there are really two cams; one in each head; but this is referred to as a single overhead cam when you are talking about a vee configuration engine; a dual overhead cam vee engine would have two cams in each head).
Ed

If you mean which used Explorer should you buy there were problems with the SOHC engines' timing chains and tensioners from about '97 to '01 (I think). I bought a '97 with the OHV engine and I'm happy. If the eighth digit in the VIN number is an "E" the engine is a SOHC. If it is an "X" it is a OHV.
If you do a google.com search using "explorer SOHC timing chain" you should find lots of information about the problem.