Oil pressure gauge sticking on start-up in cold weather?

First time poster here:

2002 Exploror Sport 4.0 liter Auto Trans. 32,000 miles (proper service intervals and oil changes)

Having a strange problem on our Exp Sport's instrument panel Oil Pressure gauge when "cold weather" starting first thing in the morning. (below 30 degrees)

Upon" first-thing-in-the-morning" starting, the instrument panel Oil Pressure gauge will not show a reading and the "check gauges" light will display.

Near as I can tell, the colder it is outside, the longer the duration the gauge will not show any movement when "cold-starting-first-thing-in-the-morning" (anywhere from 3-26 seconds).

Finally the Oil pressure gauge will snap up to "normal" and all seems well ("check gauges" light will turn off as well) and the Oil pressure gauge will work properly through all starting cycles through the day.

When inserting Key and turning ignition to "on" position (without starting engine), the Oil pressure gauge will "jump" just a little, then settle back resting on it's little peg, as all the instrument panel gauges set up their readings.This (I would think) would tell one, that there is power going to the Oil pressure sending unit.

Could it just be the oil pressure sending unit is sticking, clogged, or just plain can't stand the cold weather, or is the engine really running with no pressure for a short duration on cold mornings?

Thanks,

-=dave in Arizona

Reply to
Azfreeflyer

What weight motor oil?

Oil that is too thick can resist flowing in a cold motor producing the sypmtoms you describe.

Reply to
Jim Warman

A gent in another forum, recently, had a similar problem and found that it went away when he switched to a different oil filter brand. FWIW, he switched from AC/Delco to purolator. H

Reply to
Hairy

Good point, several consumer oil filter brands don't feature an anti-drainback valve, still others can have inadeqate or faulty anti-drainback provisions.

While paying top dollar is no guarranty of good quality, low price usually assures poor quality.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thank you for the reply,

The motor oil is 10-40W.

Did a "google" search on the subject and found a few hits suggesting an "oil pressure sender" replacement, as well as the symptoms being a common aggravation amongst 4.0 Explorers.

I have also read the factory "oil pressure" gauge is not a "real" gauge, and just notes that there is "pressure" in the motor.

-=dave in Arizona

Reply to
Azfreeflyer

The recommended motor oil for your car is 5W30.... there will be a chart in your owners manual with suggestions regarding minimum temp and oil viscosity "allowances". Certainly, thicker than recommended oil coupled with a bargain filter will have an effect similar to yours.

In all honesty, I see no reason to reinvent the wheel when it comes to motor oil requirements. Use the chart in the owners manual along with your best judgement when selecting a motor oil. While the engineers and Ma Ford are thinking of CAFE standards when specing oil viscosity, they also have an eye toward engine lube requirements. While this latest crop of motors still works on the old "suck/squeeze/bang/blow" premise, construction techniques, materials and how much oil goes where have taken a giant leap from the old technology we are accustommed to.

My best suggestion would be to change the engine oil..... try 5W30 Motorcraft oil (it's the manufacturers recommendation so it should be right) and a FL1A filter (again, the manufacturers recommendation). If the problem persists, there should be an identifiable condition.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thank you for the reply,

Will try the recommended oil/filter change.

-=dave in Arizona

Reply to
KW12698