Fw: 1986 740 GLE Ignition Cold Weather

In cold weather now it takes about 10 to 15 seconds when I turn the ignition key to ON for the instrument panel gauge lights to all light up. Once this happens then I can turn the key to START and the engine starts fine. If I just turn the key to START on a cold morning then the engine will crank for

10 to 15 seconds till all the instrument panel gauges light up and then the engine starts immediately. Does anyone know what is causing this slow start up with power I assume to the electrical system(relay?).

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Tom Hemp

Check and clean the terminal connections at the battery. Check that the ground wire to the motor from the battery is still intact where it connects to the motor on the power steering pump bracket. Next investigate the ignition switch for power and continuity. Then the ground circuit for the instrument cluster. I believe the ground wire runs from the cluster through the harness to the ground bus on the bottom side of the central electrical unit.

Bob

Reply to
User